Find the answer to your Linux question:
But it's okay, it was really old and not supported by Linux anyway (approx 5 year old Lexmark) I am now in the market for an inexpensive (less than $200) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

My printer died

But it's okay, it was really old and not supported by Linux anyway (approx 5 year old Lexmark)

I am now in the market for an inexpensive (less than $200) new one.

Any ideas on what works good with Linux and has a good print quality? Photos are nice and all, but mostly I want good letter quality.

Thanks guys!

Linux Newbie
    HP Deskjet printers work pretty good with Linux, at least with my experiences they have
    Linux Underground (my own linux website)

Linux Guru
    Letter quality? I guess you're referring to B/W text printing, right? In that case, I'd recommend a laser printer any day. Admittedly, inkjets are becoming better every day, but when it comes to text printing, they still can't beat laser printers even by a long shot.
    Almost all printers are supported by Linux as long as they aren't USB. If it's unsupported, that's more of an exception than a rule. If you're checking out a specific model, check on http://www.linuxprinting.org/ to see that it's supported.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Lasers would be beyond my budget.

Actually, before reading your post, Dolda, I went and bought (that's a 'southern phrase' if you're not a native speaker of English...don't know for sure, just know your sig says Sweden) a USB printer from HP -- the 7150. Works fine, SuSE picked it up right away. Only problem is that the margins are off. Trying to figure out how to adjust that now.

Just wanted to let you know that even the USB stuff seems to work well

Linux Guru
    That's not bad... I'd never have guessed. Thank you for notifying me.

Btw., I am indeed not a native English speaker, but "went and bought" is actually almost literally translated from the Swedish expression ("gick och köpte").

I don't really think that laser printers are that expensive. Of course, I got mine with the computer, but I don't think that they're that expensive if you find the right model. Anyway, I guess that it doesn't matter anymore.