Find the answer to your Linux question:
i need some help how can i make my windows xp and my LINSPIRE both boot up with out messing them up please give me the instructions and thank you...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

LINSPIRE 5.0 istallation with windows xp dual boot needed

i need some help how can i make my windows xp and my LINSPIRE both boot up with out messing them up please give me the instructions and thank you

*slaps you for using linspire

lol, i'm kidding. it's just linspire has a bad rep here. i've got SuSE but i imagine the install will follow some sort of pattern. at some point you will be asked to setup how you want to install your distro. the partitioning may already be set up, i don't really know. the keyword to look for is partition. if linspire is as easy as it's supposed to be then it should be self-explanatory.

*shameless SuSE plug: or you could use SuSE which has an excellent partition capability. very easy to use. your choice though. a word of advice, don't extend your CNR subscription, it's supposed to be poor.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

If you boot with the linspire cd, the directions should be fairly straight forward.

There should be a partitioning section, just let it know that you want to dual-boot.

you may need to do the custom partitioning. If so let us know when you get to that point and we will attempt to explain it.

But Linspire should set you up with a dual-boot automatically. Most distros do this.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

imaging partitions

is it possible to have a imaged partition so that i can have enough space to run linux after wards is it possible to upgrade to suse

Just Joined!
    how do install it because there no thing that pops up and shows me how to install it

http://www.sadevelopment.com/ig/linspire5/
    give that link a whirl and see what happens.
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Quote Originally Posted by d38dm8nw81k1ng
    http://www.sadevelopment.com/ig/linspire5/
    give that link a whirl and see what happens.
    Did the original poster say anything about using the PBM boot manager? That's what's described at that link.

As other folks mentioned, Linspire usually sets up all the partitioning for you, you just need to boot with the CD and do "Next->Next->Finish". If you're having trouble with Linspire's install, you're going to have a lot more trouble installing another Linux distribution.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

i don't know a thing about linspire. for all i know that could be what he needed, i just searched for it on google.

Just Joined!

Cant boot up my xp now

I cant boot up my xp or my linspire what do i do now

Re: Cant boot up my xp now

Quote Originally Posted by philperl
    I cant boot up my xp or my linspire what do i do now
    What do you see when you boot? Does the Linspire bootloader pop up?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants