Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello friends, I installed linux first and it worked completely and then crashed while doing the post install configuration. Gave a debug message and I saved it to floppy but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux installed on 4th try

Hello friends,
    I installed linux first and it worked completely and then crashed while doing the post install configuration. Gave a debug message and I saved it to floppy but apparently the save didn't happen. Then I tried to install it again and this time if failed while on find-util-(some verion) the find and xargs files. ONce again in the next installation it failed at the same place. 4th time I installed in text mode and it worked. However after starting it crashed when I ran a command in a terminal. Please tell me what would be the possible causes of these errors. Do I have to set the harddisk type to 'LBA' or something for the installation to work. Can someone please tell me which log files should I check to find out what is happening. Or is there some way to debug to understand what is happening.

Linux Guru
    How old is your hard drive and motherboard?
    How do you mean that it crashes when you run a command on the terminal? Do you get an error message and does the kernel panic (indicated by blinking caps lock and scroll lock LEDs)?

Linux Engineer
    I would verify that the md5sum of your iso's is the same that the site supplies with them.

Linux Guru
    If it installs RPMs, the installation should check that each RPM's md5sum is correct, so that shouldn't be necessary.

Linux Engineer
    Ahh I didn't know he was installing redhat. Redhat 7.3 install didn't check the md5sum for me during install. I had to do a force check after the installation crashed by typing verify at the prompt. It turned out to be a bad cd after all. Maybe my install program was screwed up since the iso was bad.

Linux Guru
    Ahh I didn't know he was installing redhat.
    Neither did I, actually. I was just guessing it might be a RPM-based distribution.
    Are you really sure that RH7.3 didn't check the MD5 sums? The whole point of having them is that they should be checked, so that seems only stupid.

Linux Engineer
    Yeah I am sure it didn't check them. Had to manual run the verify process before installation. Like I said though, the install was already messed up so that maybe be a reason why it wasn't doing that correctly.

Just Joined!
    Well I was trying to installing Red Hat 8.0. I booted linux today too and it crashed during fsck check. However, I gave up and then installed 7.3 and it worked like a dream. It installed smoothly and my first try of KDE went very well. :P Anyway I didn't know about MD5 signature checking. My motherboard is 2 yrs old Socket 370 Intel 815e and hard disk a day old. When it crashed the screen just froze, no blinking or anything.