Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm completely new to Linux--or if I hope to be, once I get it to work on my computer.... I know this is probably the most common problem newbies ask ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't dual boot FC4 & XP

I'm completely new to Linux--or if I hope to be, once I get it to work on my computer....

I know this is probably the most common problem newbies ask about, but I SWEAR I've read up on this a lot, and I can't figure it out.

I went through the install process for FC4 without any problems, and I had it install grub in the MBR (/dev/hda). But when I reboot, it just loads XP like nothing happened.

I've also tried going through the process, but putting grub in /dev/hdb1 (the other option). Same deal.

I have 2 hard drives on my system, with FC4 going on /dev/hdb (but they're both huge (200 and 160 GB) so I wouldn't be averse to partitioning one and installing everything on it, if that would help.

I don't know if any of these factors could be causing problems, but I'll lay them out on the table, just in case they're relevant:
    1. I have a Gateway (I've heard there can be problems with Gateways, but I don't know what these 'problems' are).
    2. The factory settings on the computer have system recovery files in a separate partition (/dev/hda2)--could the bootloader be confused about which partition it belongs in?
    3. I have Win XP Media Center Edition--I can't imagine why this would matter.
    4. Anytime I try to install FC4 (I've tried about 4 times), when I finally reboot, the computer "kind of" restarts, ie it turns back on, but nothing comes up on the screen. So I have to manually power down, turn off my power strip, and restart. Same thing happens when I run Knoppix from a CD-ROM. No such problem rebooting from XP, so I suspect it's Linux-related, but I'm clueless.
    5. I'm using the x86_64 build of FC4, since I have an Athlon64 processor. Again, don't know why this would matter, but I know this version of Fedora is relatively new.

Thanks in advance for any advice, hints, etc.

Linux User
    Try creating a boot disk and booting from that.
    registered linux user: 387197

Linux Engineer
    Boot up KNOPPIX, on the desktop open up your Fedora drive, go to /boot/grub, open grub.conf and paste it here.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by a thing
    Boot up KNOPPIX, on the desktop open up your Fedora drive, go to /boot/grub, open grub.conf and paste it here.
    (FWIW, I found this file at: mnt/hd1/grub/grub.conf (not /boot/grub) - Let me know if it's not what you're looking for)

#grub.conf generated by anaconda
    #
    #Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
    #NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
    # all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
    # root (hd1,0)
    # kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
    # initrd /initrd-version.img
    #boot=/dev/hda
    default=1
    timeout=5
    splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    hiddenmenu
    title Linux Fedora (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4)
    root (hd1,0)
    kernel vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 ro root=dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
    initrd /initrd-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.img
    title Windows XP
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    title Win XP 2
    rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    chainloader +1

FYI: When installing, I was puzzled why it thought my "Other" OS was located in /dev/hda2 (=D:\ on my computer), instead of /dev/hda1 (C:\) where I assumed it was--so I set it up to include both locations on the GRUB menu. Don't know if this was necessary or not, but that's why grub.conf shows two options for XP.

Linux Engineer
    Change the 5 in "timeout=5" to something like 999999999999. Also delete "hiddenmenu" and that second entry for XP.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the hints.

I wasn't having any luck when changing the grub.conf file, so I just tried installing FC3 in lieu of FC4. I have no idea why, but it worked on the first try.