Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm running KDE3.1 and for some reason, my fonts have gone very very very small. Does anyone know how to fix this at all?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

KDE 3.1 and Fonts

I'm running KDE3.1 and for some reason, my fonts have gone very very very small. Does anyone know how to fix this at all?
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Engineer
    Well, really, it's just Mozilla needs to be reset. I removing .gtkrc-kde but it keeps on coming back.

Linux Guru
    Could it be the text zoom? Check the View menu.

Linux Engineer
    Actually, I think I need to really understand how GUI works in Linux. I've installed Debian (sid) because things were too hectic for me in there but for future references, it might be useful if I know what's going on.
    One thing, how does GTK come into effect with installations for applications? When I used gtk-theme-switch2, I was able to change most of the applications back to it's font. However, Mozilla was untouched. Furthrmore, I think I need to focus on what GTK is and how it effects applications and how KDE deals with it.

Linux Guru
    Mozilla actually doesn't use GTK. It uses its own toolkit, and I have actually never checked out how to customize it, but it does seem to read GTK's config file. Even so, it isn't really GTK.
    What do you mean when you ask how GTK comes into effect with installations?

Linux Engineer
    Well, from what I've noticed, it seems to me that most GUI applications I've used thus far have been controlled by GTK in one way or another. When I look at my home directory, I see .gtkrc, .gtkrc-kde and so on. I need a better understanding of how these work so that I can fix these problems more easily.
    As for Mozilla not using GTK, I wonder what it uses.

Linux Guru
    Most GNOME applications use GTK, while most KDE applications use QT.
    If you don't know how these things work, they basically provide a "common control" framework for programs, so to speak. You can call on them to create different kinds of windows, buttons, menus and so on, and they provide a way for you to get feedback when these controls are activated.
    QT is purely C++, and I believe that you create event handlers in it by subclassing the existing control classes, but I'm not sure, since I've tried to stay away from it (it is C++, after all). GTK, on the other hand, is pure C, and you define callback functions for different events.
    While I don't use KDE and therefore don't really know anything about .gtkrc-kde, I would guess that KDE programs that use GTK are somehow made to read .gtkrc-kde instead of .gtkrc.
    I don't think that I can help you any further with that. When it comes to GUIs, I have mostly used GTK when I really had to design some GUI thing and then just left it alone for it to manage itself. Would I have some trouble with it, I'd probably investigate into it further, but that hasn't happened this far.

Mozilla uses some strange home-brew toolkit that they can apply their theme engine upon. I guess that makes it easier for them to integrate it with other operating systems as well.

Linux Engineer
    Well, I'll look into both of these things when I have the time. Thanks for the heads up.

Linux Engineer

screen shots

Here's an example of what I'm referring to when the font changes. I was able to manipulate KDE and other applications but Mozilla doens't want to change itself at all. Here's what it used to look like when I first installed the program. Please note the menu bar (file, edit, view, and etc)
    http://www.dolda2000.com/~bpark/before.jpg

After rebooting, this is what happened:
    http://www.dolda2000.com/~bpark/after.jpg

Linux Guru
    It seems as if it has scaled the font. Have you tried to simply increase the font size under Edit->Preferences->Appearance->Fonts?
    If that's not it, could it be that your resolution is set incorrectly? I believe that it might be the your old font only had one resolution, so to speak, while the new one might scale to the resolution.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast