Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have used linux for 10 years or so. One problem I always seem to have is when I decide to upgrade, with a different distro. I use a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

best partition scheme for later distro change?

Hi,
    I have used linux for 10 years or so. One problem I always seem to have is when I decide to upgrade, with a different distro. I use a lot of software off the net and much, if not all goes into /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin, as well as libs into /lib,/usr/lib and so on.
    When I do a fresh install, all these are wiped clean. I always have to a backup first, then pick and choose among the backed up files which ones to copy over, since I don't want to over write the new system files.
    Is there some partitioning scheme that can overcome this? I use rpms as much as possible to install individual programs from the net, but sometimes there are no rpms so I compile and then I can install wherever I want.
    I hope the solution is not to build everthing myself.

Thanks for any ideas,

Jim

Linux Engineer
    Maybe
    1GB /boot
    10+GB /usr/local
    10+GB /home
    /'s for distros.

I guess that you're in some ways stuck as obviously it's a bad idea to run an install without formatting the previous one unless it's an upgrade. But in that case you will be left with your files. Have you used checkinstall? If you install programs using ./compile &&make && make install it will keep a record of them making it easy to uninstall and I think there is a way to query the checkinstall database, so maybe you could find the location of all of your files. If that's no good you could always write a shell script that backs up or dumps out the files after the install. Possibly even build an rpm that contains all of the files together so that you can run the rpm everytime a new system is loaded.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close