Find the answer to your Linux question:
Taking a shortcut here, I still have my n00b license. I used RH Enterprise Linux 2.1 ES. I think I got it running good already. The trick is I installed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to unistall in Linux?

Taking a shortcut here, I still have my n00b license.

I used RH Enterprise Linux 2.1 ES. I think I got it running good already. The trick is I installed all the packages in the CD. I was thinking whenever I bump into something of a Linux term, I should be in my setup coz I installed them all. I think it paid off, I got now Samba running without much hassle, not bad for a week of Linuxing. Now, I want to use the latest packages of Apache, MySQL, PHP. What's the procedure to uninstall the existing ones? What if I just let them be there? Will I miss any new feature? RH Enterprise Linux 2.1 ES has been packaged sometime Dec 2003 or so, were the changes on the 3 software since then compelling enough to do an ugrade? What about the kernel? I'm just going to setup an intranet website anyway. I need some advice please.

i think that if you install new ones then they just overwrite the old ones. i'm not sure how to uninstall in redhat but if the disc has a package manager then i think you could use that to uninstall them.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Linux Engineer
    I'm not sure about RHEL, but on Fedora 'yum -y update' updates everything. Old things are just overwritten with new things. If RHEL doesn't have Yum try up2date.

Linux User
    in redhat

rpm -Uvh <packagename> should just upgrade whatever packages you already have installed.
    rpm -e <packagename> will delete it...

man rpm for more info.
    Fixing Unix is better than working with Windows.
    http://nikhilk.homedns.org/projects/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by nikhil
    in redhat

rpm -Uvh <packagename> should just upgrade whatever packages you already have installed.
    rpm -e <packagename> will delete it...

man rpm for more info.
    I would not recommend doing a manual line item delete like this because you could end up uninstalling packages that are needed by other installed programs by mistake. If you really want to get rid of something, I would recommend using yum. It will tell you what programs need those packages and ask you whether or not you want to uninstall them as well.

On the subject of RHEL 2.1, there are newer versions available for free (CentOS is based on RHEL 4), in case you're interested.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants