Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have Windows XP and redhat 8 installed . I am The boot loader is grub. I am having problem in shutting down my pc from linux. When i give ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

shut down problem

I have Windows XP and redhat 8 installed . I am The boot loader is grub.
    I am having problem in shutting down my pc from linux. When i give the command "shutdown now" then it closses everything properly and stands after giving a message "Power down". But after getting this mesage also the power in the CPU remains and if I press the magic key Alt+Ctrl+Del, the machine restarts.

Is it safe to turn off the PC after i get the Power Down Message .. Or what shuld i do to properly shutdown my computer from Linux.
    these days i restart the machine and go to windows and then shutdown.
    Please help me ...
    Thanx

Just Joined!
    When you see the message "power down" it is safe to turn off the comptuer with the power switch. The command "shutdown now" or "init 0" will stop all processes and unmount all directories on the hard drives in an orderly manner. There was a post in this forum recently that explained why the computer does not power off auto.

Linux Guru
    Did you compile the kernel yourself? In that case, did you enable APM? If you didn't, the kernel won't even try to power off the computer.

In any case, it is indeed safe to power off the computer when it says "Power down".

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close