Find the answer to your Linux question:
Has anyone here attempted to just download the bare parts and put together what they want for a custom Linux build? If I had the know how I thought I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Custom Linux?

Has anyone here attempted to just download the bare parts and put together what they want for a custom Linux build?

If I had the know how I thought I might just download the latest Kernel, Gnome, Gdm, Grub and the bits and pieces needed to put them together and that would be it.

Linux distros are too fat atleast the ones you can download.
    I think I might like to try just getting a bare Linux with command prompt only and try to build it up from there. Where can I find a small command line linux running the latest kernel?

Thanks.

Linux User
    Gentoo, if you do not mind compiling your own code.

Linux Engineer
    You should try Minislack. 400 MB iso. Or Slax.

If you do some effort, you'll find a lot of distro's that aren't big at all. Take Damn Small Linux for example, or the ones above. You can download all of them

As for your favorite WM and stuff, there's a big chance at least one distro has the combination you're looking for, just like Minislack was the one for me .
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!
    Minislack looks simple and clean but I'm also looking for something to run on a P133 Micron laptop.

Linux Engineer
    Well if it doesn't run smooth with X (graphical subsystem), you'll have to let X out, and work with the command line only. I know when I boot up my Minislack I only use 60 MB RAM though, and rarely more than 128 when working. Don't know what your laptop's config is though... Minislack is based on Slackware, so it is optimized for older computers (especially everything before the PIII). I would give it a try if I were you, by default Minislack boots up in the console (you can change that easily though). If you want to try, let me know .

Linux Engineer

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by a thing
    http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
    The TS mentioned he had not that a thorough knowledge of Linux... (Neither do I to use Linux from scratch though)