Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have recently tried to reformat the hard disk...so i can partition both windows xp and linux fedora core ( i have linux and windows xp as partitioned..want to give ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Formating

I have recently tried to reformat the hard disk...so i can partition both windows xp and linux fedora core ( i have linux and windows xp as partitioned..want to give more memory to linux this time).

So i used the windows 98 bootup disk to delete my partitions. The problem is i cannot delete the partion with linux on it (The Extented DOS Partition).

It says
    "Cannot delete Extended DOS Parition while logical drives exist".

So i then try to delete the logical drive...but it says
    "No logical drives defined"..."All logical drives deleted in the Extended DOS Partition".

But I've tried both...dont know whats wrong.

So now im like what the hell is going on...so then i try to delete it using the non-dos partition mode but that doesnt work...so with the fustration i went and deleted the Primary DOS Partition hoping some how that it would also delete the extended partition..but now ive totally screwed things...I cannot even start any operating systems (error comes as no operating system..something like that) and i cant re-install anything.

How would i go on about getting rid of the partitions? Help me plz and preferably give me the instruction in step by step if possible on how to get rid of the partition...i can reformat and re-partition it again myself.

You should be able to delete and repartition from the Windows XP installer. Boot with the XP CD and go through a normal installation until you get to the parition screen. Just delete all the partitions on the drive, make a partition for XP and leave the rest as unparitioned space. Install XP, then pop in Fedora and pick the "leave existing partitions and install using empty space" option.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    i put in my windows xp professional cd in...but an error occurs

"Invailid system disk"
    "Replace the disk, and then press any key"

Quote Originally Posted by TradeoX
    i put in my windows xp professional cd in...but an error occurs

"Invailid system disk"
    "Replace the disk, and then press any key"
    Did you not see a message that said this?

"Press any key to boot from CD..."

If not, your PC is set up to boot straight to your harddrive and ignore what's in the CDROM drive. You need to change that in your BIOS. Usually that means hitting F8 or DELETE when it first boots and digging through the BIOS settings menus.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    yes it does....but when i do press any key...the computer just goes in a stand still...it looks like its reading from the cd but nothings happening on the screen.

Just Joined!
    ive downloaded killdisk maybe that would help me get rid of the partitions..thanx for your help it was greatly appreciated.