Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a G3 700MHz ibook with a busted screen that I am trying to install Fedora Core 4 onto. The top third of the screen is visible, below that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

FC4 install on G3 ibook w external monitor only

I have a G3 700MHz ibook with a busted screen that I am trying to install Fedora Core 4 onto. The top third of the screen is visible, below that is garbage. I have connected it to my PC monitor (15" LCD Compaq FP5315), and if I boot into OS X this works fine. However, when I boot from the Fedora install CDs, I cannot get the display to mirror to this external monitor. There seems to be some signal going to the monitor, judging from the LED, but all I see is a blank screen. After some web searching, I have tried a number of different boot options, including

nofb
    video=offb
    video=ofonly
    resolution=1024x768
    vsync=60

and various combinations thereof. None of these make any difference, except for video=ofonly, which gives me a blank white screen instead of a blank black screen, and seems to prevent the Fedora splash screen (the one after the CD test screen) from appearing on the laptop screen.

Is this a lost cause, or does anybody have any ideas?

Just Joined!
    I have never used an appale before but, can you change somthing in the bios to force the crt to turn on?

Just Joined!
    I could be wrong, but I don't think that's the problem. As I say, if I let it boot to OS X then the external monitor works fine. Also, when I boot from the install CD it looks like there is a signal going to the monitor, based on the little LED. Will give it a try though....

Thanks.