Find the answer to your Linux question:
I need help configuring grub to boot to my newly patched kernel. I'm running RH9 and I applied the apci patch to kernel 2.4.20-20.9. Everything went well including the compile. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

booting newly patched kernel

I need help configuring grub to boot to my newly patched kernel. I'm running RH9 and I applied the apci patch to kernel 2.4.20-20.9. Everything went well including the compile. Now, I just need a clue on how to configure grub to boot from it.

If anyone can give me knowledge on this, it would be greatly appreciated!

Linux User
    Take the bzImage from the source directory and copy it to /boot. If the new kernel directory is symlinked to /usr/src/linux, then just run the following: cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot. If it's not pointed to /usr/src/linux. just use the appropriate directory name.

Just Joined!
    Are you saying that I don't need to edit grub.conf? Here's what it currently looks like.

title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-20.9)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-20.9 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
    initrd /initrd-2.4.20-20.9.img

bzImage has been copied boot directory, but what about this system.map file that I keep reading about?

Linux Guru
    You do need to edit your grub.conf. Just add a section that reads like this:
    Code:
    title New Kernel
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /bzImage ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
    You might need System.map as well. Some programs use it, but it's not really necessary. It's used to map addresses in the kernel to symbols, mainly for the WCHAN fields in the output of top and ps -l.
    The general method is to copy System.map from your kernel source tree to /boot/System.map-kernelversion, and then create a symlink to that file named System.map. That makes it easy to switch between two kernel, should you need to do that.

Just Joined!
    I tried it again with the given code, but I get "bad image or directory" when I attempt to boot from it. Obviously, I'm still doing something wrong or leaving something out.

Any suggestions?

Linux Guru
    Is that really the exact error message? I just searched for it, and there is no error message like that in GRUB.
    I suppose that you did copy bzImage into /boot as directed by SiezedPropaganda?

Just Joined!
    I'm almost positive that thats what it said. I haven't had a chance to try it tonight as I was busy setting up RH9 and sendmail on my desktop. I'll try it again tomorrow and let ya know.