Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey all, Im new here but I would like to know what I need to do. Im attempting to duel boot with Windows 98se and a old mandrake 10.1 distro ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

lilo or grub question for mandrake 10.1

Hey all,
    Im new here but I would like to know what I need to do.
    Im attempting to duel boot with Windows 98se and a old mandrake 10.1 distro I have. Anyway I get all the way through the installation and then at the end when im asked to configure lilo and I get some error message about that part of the hard drive already being used or something. If you guys need me to re-install it and write down the exact error i will.
    Thanks,
    Jonathan

oz
    forum.guy
    Are you trying to install LILO to the MBR? If not, you might try that. Installing the boot loader to the MBR has never failed me in 6 years of using Linux.

Ity kinda sounds like you're not configuring LILO properly. Are you able to boot the computer into linux at the moment?? Or does it only let you into windows?? If you can get into linux it would be nice to see the contents of your /etc/lilo.conf file.

If you can't boot into linux you *may* be able to use the mandrake installation disc as a rescue disc to see the linux filesystem, and then have a look at /etc/lilo.conf. Post the contents here so we can have a look.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    K I'll try that

Just Joined!

HMMmmmm

Ok,
    So I tried useing the install cd as a rescue disk and 1 of the options was to re-install the bootloader. So I tried that and got the same error message. Anyone know what this means? Fatal: Bios device code 0x80 is being used by 2 disks /dev/hdb (c0x0340) /dev/hda (c0x0300).
    Anyone know what this means? I have 2 hard drives 1 is an unformatted 160Gb that im saving for when Windows XP comes in the mail tomorrow. And the other is my primary which is a 80Gb hard drive with windows 98se and a 10Gb partition I was trying to use Mandrake 10.1 on.
    It seems to me the Bios is missinterpeting my hard drive setup or something.??
    Thanks

Linux Newbie
    I have a dual boot Win98SE/Mandrake10.0 I'm no expert but make sure the 80gigHd is the primary HD. Check your BIOS configuration to see which HD is primary and how they are set-up. I would try disconnecting the 160gigHD as a last resort. That is if you are handy with opening up your computer. Hope that helps

Maybe both hard drives are set as primary, when one should be set as primary and the other as slave?? That was just a guess, but it could happen if you installed the second drive yourself, and it would explaint the BIOS confusion.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Linux Newbie
    I agree wit you there. Often its the bios that needs checking with harddisk error issues..hope he knows how to check the dip switches and IDE cables

No I don't think it would be a primary, master, slave issue because if that was all misconfigured the computer wouldn't boot past the BIOS load up.

Just Joined!

Yeah

Yeah ,
    I installed the 2nd hard drive myself but I put it on cable select. I'll just unhook the 160gb slave and see what happens just to double check and rule out Jumper problems.
    Thanks I thought it might be that but wasn't sure. Lemme check real quick.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast