Find the answer to your Linux question:
All right, guys, here's what I need. Being a complete newbie, I have no idea what specifics I need for partitioning. I have access to the qtpartition program, but it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

More partitioning...

All right, guys, here's what I need. Being a complete newbie, I have no idea what specifics I need for partitioning. I have access to the qtpartition program, but it doesn't tell me now many (and what kind) partitions I need to create for Linux. So, I'd like to know how many partitions to create (perhaps for CollegeLinux, Mandriva Linux, or Berry Linux), which size they should be, and which filesystem they should be. Also, which parition should I write to / location to? Please let me know!

oz
    forum.guy
    Not sure if this tutorial will help, or not, but it was created by another LinuxForums.org member:

http://www.linuxforums.org/tutorials...ial-29408.html

I usually create a /root partition (4 to 6 GB - ext3), a swap partition (512 MB - swap), and a /home partition (2 to 4 GB - ext3). The size depends on what you intend to do with your system. Some users like other partitions, such as a seperate /boot partition.

HTH

Linux Engineer
    Making /root bigger than /home makes no sense. You should only use root for administration.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    I think he means the / partition (root in which resides the OS) . But people often write /root, which is the home directory of the root user, I understand the confusion
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    I think he means the / partition (root in which resides the OS) . But people often write /root, which is the home directory of the root user, I understand the confuision
    Right on the money, borromini...

I used to have a 2GB / , 5 GB /usr, 512 swap and the rest in /home but not all distros treat /usr the same especially apparent when I moved from Mandriva to SuSE as the /opt directory became home to KDE, Gnome etc. Unless you intend imaging individual partitions or want to ease backups I would just create / (about 6-7GB to allow lots of upgrading) , a swap of around 512MB (because you rarely need more than that unless it's a SQL server) and the rest in /home.

I also favour ReiserFS, it seems quicker and I like watching the transaction replay when I forcibly reboot or crash my X server.