Find the answer to your Linux question:

Thread: grub

Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

grub

i had 2 operating system in my pc,(redhat9 & windows)but now when turn on pc ,boot loader has not been shown and grub command has been shown,boot loader has been failed,
    could you help me what I do???
    Regards.

Linux Engineer
    Can you use the redhat 9 cd to boot into your Linux install, and try to reinstall GRUB from there?
    Debian Jessie x86_64 & armhf :: LibreELEC is the solution for your Linux-based HTPC setups.

Grub

Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    Can you use the redhat 9 cd to boot into your Linux install, and try to reinstall GRUB from there?
    yes I can

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Well, then I suggest you do that . It's easier to install GRUB from within Linux then from a floppy or CD.
    Debian Jessie x86_64 & armhf :: LibreELEC is the solution for your Linux-based HTPC setups.

Just Joined!

grub

if u are reinstalling the grub it will not work. here we have two stage of boot loader. the satge 1 is there in ur MBR stage 2 is there in ur /boot directory or partition.. u are getting grub command prompt y because ur second stage loader is missing. do the following commands. u have windows also right?. so i hope windows is installed on c drive? if it is like this do the following
    grub> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    grub> chainloader + 1
    grub> boot
    these three steps for booting to windows. do the following for linux. i hope ur linux boot partiton on /dev/hda2
    grub> root (hd0,1)
    grub> setup (hd0,1)
    grub> kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.21-4 ro root=LABEL-/
    grub> initrd /initrd-2.4.21-4.img
    grub> boot
    if ur boot partition is there then this will work.
    regards v
    ijesh