Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, i have HD 60Gb with win Xp installed on it and there are two drives C and D on C both are NTFS is where the xp is installed. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing RedHat with Win xp Pro !??

Hello,
    i have HD 60Gb with win Xp installed on it and there are two drives C and D on C both are NTFS is where the xp is installed. i want to install Linux REDHAT but i dont know how to start i am affraid if WINxp pro will be wiped off. I have Heard somehting abt partition can you please help me with linux i need to keep dual partition

Thanks in advance

Linux Engineer
    Yes. What you have to do is get some tool for Windows to re-partition your partitions making them smaller so you can create linux partitions later. Try with Partition Magic.
    serzsite.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won\'t save you from yourself"

oz
    forum.guy
    It won't wipe Windows unless you tell it to do so.

Just be sure during partitioning that you don't allow it to use the full drive for Linux, and don't install Linux on the partitions used by Windows. There are several good partitioning tools out there that newbies can handle, and as stated above by serz, Partition Magic is a good one (if you already use Windows).

You'll need to decide what partitions you want to create, their type, and size. Once you've created them, you can install Linux. Keep in mind there are a number of other ways to achieve partitioning/formatting.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Thanks all

Thankyou all. this was my first post to this forum and all replied

Just Joined!

Partition magic is not a free ware ??

Does anyone has a link whereby i can get partition magic ?? free version or a crak for the same? i am have done a lot og googling but unsucessful.

Regards,
    Accilies

Linux Engineer
    Hmm, no. We're not supossed to post illegal stuff or anything here. Although I can tell you that you can probably find it on any p2p program (eMule for example).

serzsite.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won\'t save you from yourself"

Re: Installing RedHat with Win xp Pro !??

Quote Originally Posted by accilies
    Hello,
    i have HD 60Gb with win Xp installed on it and there are two drives C and D on C both are NTFS is where the xp is installed. i want to install Linux REDHAT but i dont know how to start i am affraid if WINxp pro will be wiped off. I have Heard somehting abt partition can you please help me with linux i need to keep dual partition

Thanks in advance
    Any reason you're going with Red Hat? Fedora Core 4 is the most recent distro version for home users of Red Hat. I would highly advise using the most recent version of any distribution you try. I know, for example, that most modern distros include partitioning tools as part of the installation process. Both Mandriva and Mepis have wonderful graphical partitioning tools included.

Just Joined!

Re: Installing RedHat with Win xp Pro !??

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    Quote Originally Posted by accilies
    Hello,

Thanks in advance
    Any reason you're going with Red Hat? Fedora Core 4 is the most recent distro version for home users of Red Hat. I would highly advise using the most recent version of any distribution you try. I know, for example, that most modern distros include partitioning tools as part of the installation process. Both Mandriva and Mepis have wonderful graphical partitioning tools included.
    Coz i have a Red Hat