Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm having a problem installing FC4. It won't. I'm running it of the DVD, and I know that's good because I've checkd it during the install. I'm trying to set ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

FC4 first install problem(s)

I'm having a problem installing FC4. It won't. I'm running it of the DVD, and I know that's good because I've checkd it during the install. I'm trying to set up a home station , with a few of the non-default packages.

This is the setup I'm *trying* to use: two hard drives, on for Win XP, and the other for FC4. It seems both have two partions on them, but I' not sure how hda got two, the second partion on that is only 8 mb I think. Hdb used to have mandrake on it in another computer.

The first install I tried, I checked the disk, and it cheked out ok. As anaconda was about to load, it crashed, and game me an error message to put on floppy. I tried to send that to bugzilla, but I can't get the info off of the floppy now.

The second try I got into anaconda, disk still checking out ok. I began answering questions, using auto partion to take off all linux installs, configure GRUB, and picking packeges. It started installing fine (to my relief). Once it finished, it said to reboot, so I did. On startup, windows sarts up, no GRUB, same as it was before. I try changing to load sequence to see if it was juist the bootloader, for I try booting off of hdb the one with FC4. It starts up Mandrake, which doesn't fully load. I restart.

Third try, Didn't bother to check the disk this time. Configured the install. Began install. Nothing. The bar didn't move at all. I could still move my mouse, nut do nothing else. Hard rest.

Fourth try.Install completes, it says to restart, I do, but once again, it is still the same.

I've tried auto partioning, manually partioning, partioning from windows, default packages, custom packages,password on GRUB, no password on GRUB, an a few othe things tht I'm sure hadno ffect on the overalinstallation. Ether way, no change. Windows is still on hda1, and mandrake is stil on hdb

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, or if I am doing anything wrong. I'm new to linux, played with knoppix a little bit (which works fine), but I'd really like to get this working. I've taken a look in a few of the forums, but I haven't found anything like this.
    Any info would be apreciated. Thank you.

Linux Engineer
    Try run_qtparted on System Resue CD (see signiture). Also, after FC4 installs, edit /boot/grub/grub.conf from System Rescue CD with editor of choice (vi, nano) so there's no "hiddenmenu" and timeout is a long time.

Just Joined!

Still not working

I;ve tried the given advice. Took me a while to figure out how to edit the grub.conf, but I did. Still nothing.
    One extra piece of info, if I try booting directly to the drive with FC4 on it, it doen't load, and stops at a message saying nothign but "LIL". I have no idea what that means.
    Also, I tried using looking at the bootloader in the rescue disk, and Fedora didn't show up.
    Once again, any info would be apreciated. Thank you.

Linux Engineer

Re: Still not working

Quote Originally Posted by rogueattack
    I;ve tried the given advice. Took me a while to figure out how to edit the grub.conf, but I did. Still nothing.
    One extra piece of info, if I try booting directly to the drive with FC4 on it, it doen't load, and stops at a message saying nothign but "LIL". I have no idea what that means.
    Also, I tried using looking at the bootloader in the rescue disk, and Fedora didn't show up.
    Once again, any info would be apreciated. Thank you.
    On System Rescue CD, you have to mount the partition on your second harddrive. First,
    you'll have to make a directory to mount it

mkdir /hdb1

then mount it

mount -t auto /dev/hdb1 /hdb1

*assuming that Fedora's on hdb1 (which it should be since windowz is on hda)

and then edit /hdb1/boot/grub/grub.conf.

If that doesn't work, try reinstalling GRUB. System Rescue CD has the GRUB shell. So enter grub to get to the GRUB shell. To install it, enter "root (hd1,0)" to tell GRUB where the configuration files are then "setup (hd0)" to install GRUB the the Master Boot Record of the first disk.

Just Joined!

That did it!

That did the trick! It booted tonight. Then I went back and edited grub.conf so I could get back into windows. Why wasn't grub instaling right, and why wouldn't fedora boot when I specifed boot from the second hard drive?

Either way, Thank you.

Linux Engineer
    I have no idea why Fedora does that by default for most people.