Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I'e got the same info with "cat /proc/pci" and "cat /proc/ioports" Here's the result of "dmesg | tail" [root@localhost greg]# cat /etc/modules.conf probeall usb-interface usb-uhci probeall scsi_hostadapter sym53c8xx alias eth0 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I'e got the same info with "cat /proc/pci" and "cat /proc/ioports"
    Here's the result of "dmesg | tail"
    [root@localhost greg]# cat /etc/modules.conf

probeall usb-interface usb-uhci
    probeall scsi_hostadapter sym53c8xx
    alias eth0 ne2k-pci
    alias sound-slot-0 maestro
    [root@localhost greg]# dmesg| tail
    maestro: AC97 Codec detected: v: 0x414b4d00 caps: 0x0 pwr: 0xf
    maestro: 1 channels configured.
    maestro: version 0.15 time 15:30:11 Mar 14 2003
    Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
    agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 94M
    agpgart: Detected Intel 440BX chipset
    agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe0000000
    [drm] AGP 0.99 aperture @ 0xe0000000 64MB
    [drm] Initialized r128 2.3.0 20021029 on minor 0
    Splash status on console 0 changed to off
    I launched aumix as root to put every level at its maximum ... err, how do you prevent aumix from checking "Mute All" ?

Linux Guru
    Mute All? Have you got the GUI interface of aumix? I don't like that at all. Try running this instead (from a terminal):
    Code:
    unset DISPLAY; aumix
    At least the dmesg output seems to be indicating that the driver really is functional and has detected the sound card and everything. Now just remains to find out why it isn't working.

In /proc/ioports, I meant for you to check what it says after the IO address range. Ie., does it say "ec00 - ecff : 0000:00:12.0" or "ec00 - ecff : maestro", or anything else?

Just Joined!
    I've got the same adress range, from 0XEC00 to 0XECFF with cat /proc/ioports and cat /proc/pci. Here's what's told with cat /proc/ioports
    ec00-ecff : ESS Technology ES1978 Maestro 2E
    ec00-ecff : ESS Maestro 2E
    That's all I have.

When starting KDE, I have a message saying that the sound server cannot be initialized.
    I cant' understand. I remember that I installed a friend's sound card and it wasn't so hard.

Thanks for your help Dolda !

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Indeed, it's not supposed to be this hard. I'm starting to run out of ideas here, actually. The sound card driver has clearly bound to the card and the mixer and the DSP both seem to be working, but still you don't get any actual sound. If I didn't know that that isn't the case, I'd say your speakers are broken or something...

I'm sorry, but I just don't know; looking at the comments in the beginning of the maestro driver source code, it seems to be a fairly complex and a bit broken card. Maybe you should try subscribing to The LKML and ask the question there, so that the authoritative authors can answer.

Just Joined!
    Hi,

No my speakers aren't broken ...
    I found a beta-driver for ISIS on SourceForge ... I will try it and tell you if it works.
    I'm under Windows now, and I saw that my sound-card (the ESS chip) is using the PCI-IRQ 5 ... or under Linux, it is said that the sound-card is using IRQ 11 ... strange. :o

Thanks for your help Dolda, I will try to find an other way to make sound with this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2