Find the answer to your Linux question:
aight. here's the scoop. I'm going to switch from suse9.2prof to PCLinuxOS.. heres my hd setup hda (19gb) hda1 (19gb) - FAT 32 - Windows 98 hdb (13gb) hdb1 (3gb) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

PCLinuxOS

aight. here's the scoop. I'm going to switch from suse9.2prof to PCLinuxOS.. heres my hd setup

hda (19gb)
    hda1 (19gb) - FAT 32 - Windows 98
    hdb (13gb)
    hdb1 (3gb) - FAT 32 - Windows 98 My Documents
    hdb2 (9.7gb) - reiser - SuSE 9.2prof - SOON TO BE PCLOS
    hdb3 (300mb) - swap
    ------

now i use norton ghost on hda.. BUT, whenever I restore hda (windows) it overwrites the MBR and therefore > grub/lilo

now, in SUSE, i can use rescue/install dvd and boot the installed system, and rewrite the mbr.. how can i in pclos?? thanx..

Linux Engineer
    You can use System Rescue CD (see sig) to reinstall GRUB or LILO.

Just Joined!
    Well thanks. But I am looking for a way to do it WITH the PcLinuxOS disc (its a live distro btw, u can just install it)...

Thanks

Linux Engineer
    On the package list it says it comes with LILO. If you want GRUB, you'll have to grab it from here, or mabye you can grab it with apt with "apt-get install grub".

Just Joined!
    actually, i dont really care which.

i just need to know how to get ANY once i restore the ghost..
    becuz norton overwrites the mbr to blank

so i cant boot to linux cuz there is NO boot loader. how can i get it back w/o having to reinstall pclos?
    tx

Linux Engineer
    You'll have to use a live CD like System Rescue CD since windowz can't execute GNU/Linux executables.

Just Joined!
    aight. thanks.. this isn't by any chance adam2 from irc.efnet.net is it?

Just Joined!
    Hehe... This is exactly the same switch I did on a laptop a few days ago. I just want to offer a few tips.
    Suse comes with GRUB. PCLOS by default comes with LILO. You will have problems overwriting the MBR with LILO. What I did was change to LILO in Suse first through YAST (bootloader config) and then do the install of PCLOS. When thats done you can apt-get GRUB from the repositories and switch to GRUB in the PCLOS control center.
    Be prepared for a fully functional (after a few apt-gets) multimedia center with all apps completely up to date!

Just a question though. Why do you feel the need to restore hda on a regular basis. Is it getting borked by something? Perhaps a hardware problem?