Find the answer to your Linux question:
Current set up is: XP Home on hda, 40Gb (using about 12 Mb) RH9 on hdb, 8Gb Grub on hda What I'd like to do is to whip 20Gb from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

HD resizing & squashing the XP

Current set up is:

XP Home on hda, 40Gb (using about 12 Mb)
    RH9 on hdb, 8Gb
    Grub on hda

What I'd like to do is to whip 20Gb from XP and have 10Gb for another distro and 10Gb fomatted to FAT32 for sharing ogg files.

What's the best way to do that?

Does RH9, MDK9.1 or Suse 8.2 handle resizing ntfs without losing data?

Or is summat like PM the best way to go?

Ta.

Linux Engineer
    well, from what i remember of install docs/tuts that i've read, i think ntfs is one of the worst to try to get resized... basically (again, this is from a slipshod memory) i think you have to re-install XP with the different HD size and then install linux on the ext3/reiser/whatever fs's that you're going to use.. linux partitioning programs hate ntfs.. **grumbles about stupid proprietary protocols while happily watching his system continue to compile**
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

im goin to recommend you get partition magic 8 for that resizing cause it doesnt destroy data. and if you have to you can always go warez if you think you will never use the software after you finish with the resizing. jst pretend its like a trial offer. who knows maybe they have a free trial you had download. but i would recommend buying or getting partition magic 8 it works like a charm

"the author of this post doesnt not condone the use of warez software, and will not be taken responsible if you get in trouble while use of warez softwarez" ~Kyle K.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

I agree with big_k partition magic is the way to go.

Linux Engineer
    Ta for the advice, PM it is.