Find the answer to your Linux question:
Friends, I am new to this forum and also to Linux. I have 80GB HDD. I want to install Redhat Linux AS 3 in my PC as a primary OS ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Install Redhat AS 3 as Primary OS and secondary as WinXP

Friends,
    I am new to this forum and also to Linux.
    I have 80GB HDD.
    I want to install Redhat Linux AS 3 in my PC as a primary OS in the 40GB partition. Remaing 40GB will be for Winxp.
    Installing both the OS will be not be a problem...i think so....
    But after installation these two OS will I get a screen to select an OS or it will go directly to LINUX as soon as i load my PC.
    if it goes directly...then in which part of grub.conf i have to edit.
    Also after loggin into linux as a root. which command i have to type to get in to the grub.conf.
    Please treat this as urgent bcoz today evening iam going to install it in my home.

Thanks & Regards
    Sathyguy

use your favorite editor (as root) to edit the file /boot/grub/grub.conf

The line that decides which OS is loaded by default is the default= line. The number (starting at 0 (zero) and not 1) is the number of the occurence of the "title" line.

So, (and this examp,e was taken from the tutorial section of this forum - http://www.linuxforums.org/tutorials...ial-19999.html ), if I want to load the fourth operating system (called BeOS) I would need to put 3 (three) as the default:-

Code:
    default=3
    timeout=10 
    splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz 
    title Fedora Core 2 (2.6.5-1.358) 
            root (hd0,0) 
            kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358 ro root=LABEL=/1 hda=38792,16,63 
            initrd /initrd-2.6.5-1.358.img 
    title Mandrake 10.0 
            root (hd0,0) 
            kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.3-4mdk ro root=/dev/hda6 hda=38792,16,63 
            initrd /initrd-2.6.3-4mdk.img 
    title Slackware 
            root (hd0,4) 
            kernel /boot/vmlinuz-ide-2.4.22 ro root=/dev/hda5 hda=38792,16,63 
    title BeOS 
       map (hd0) (hd2) 
       map (hd2) (hd0) 
       rootnoverify (hd2,4) 
       chainloader +1 
    title Windows 98 SE 
       map (hd0) (hd2) 
       map (hd2) (hd0) 
       rootnoverify (hd2,0) 
       makeactive 
       chainloader +1 
    title Fedora Core 1 (2.4.22-1.2188.nptl) 
       root (hd1,0) 
       kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2188.nptl ro root=/dev/hdc1 
       initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.22-1.2188.nptl.img
    For the rest of the description of this (modified) example file, see the tutorial that I pointed to earlier.

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Hi sathyguy,
    What you should do in order to minimise any problems with dual booting both Windows and Linux is to install windows first. When you get to the part in the xp installation, create a partition for XP and leave the rest unformatted.

Once Xp is installed, then proceed to install linux, and during the install, you can setup grub, tell it that linux is default and add an entry for windows. Now, set a timeout of 10s, so that when system boots, you will have 10s to decide which OS to use beofre it boots into default one.

Also it is not a good idea to log into a graphical session as root as this makes your system more open to attack, as anyone who got through to your system can do anything as they have root privilages. Just login as a normal user and in the terminal, type
    Code:
    su -
    to become root, and then use the following command:
    Code:
    kate /boot/grub/menu.lst
    replace kate with your favourite text editor, g.e. kwrite, emacs, vim etc.

Some distros also have a graphical way for configuring the grub menu, you will have to check for a control center of sorts in Red Hat to be able to configure it.

hope this helps
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Thank you guys.....Now only i checked this forum.....
    Yesterday I have installed both successfully without seeing the reply from you guys.....
    Here is the problem what is faced yesterday.....
    1. I installed linux successfully in 40GB Space of hda0(bcoz im having only one hdd)
    2. After installing linux...I inserted winxp with sp2.....it checked the necceassary disk and copied files.....
    3. When i select the remaining partition(ie., 40GB). It asked me to create partition...I created a single 40gb partition.
    4. When i pressed "Enter" key to install XP. It showed me you cannot install XP create a partition and install XP. But i have tried 2 times by creating a partition but i didnt succeeded....
    Then i throwed everything.....
    I started winXP as a fresh installation in 40GB space after that i installed linux in another 40gb space. Now i have both OS in the same HDD with 10s time delay in boot....
    So guys......If anyone want to install two OS(windows and linux) first of all install windows then go with linux.

Once again Thanks for your reply guys....