Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey guys, I am running windows xp and would like to use some linux to. However i do not want to partition my drive. So if i buy a second ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

dual booting using a second drive

hey guys, I am running windows xp and would like to use some linux to. However i do not want to partition my drive. So if i buy a second drive wont i be able to just install linux on that drive and dual boot. Does xp have an option that lets you boot from diferent drives? From what i have read and heard this should work ok but i wanted to know for sure. Thanks guys

Well, yes and no. You won't have to resize partitions, but you'll likely have to install the Linux boot loader on the Master Boot Record in order to get the dual-boot working. Windows doesn't play nice with Linux, so it won't just recognize the Linux distro and boot to it.

Perhaps you might want to start with a Linux live CD to get comfortable with Linux before dual-booting? It's also a good way to find out which distro best recognizes your hardware. Mepis and Ubuntu have live CDs you can try out.

Linux Newbie

Re: dual booting using a second drive

Quote Originally Posted by Kenbodude
    hey guys, I am running windows xp and would like to use some linux to. However i do not want to partition my drive.
    You don't need to make new partition, just free up a space (10 - 15 GB enough) for linux and simple use that space. Nothing will change on XP except those space(hide).
    So if i buy a second drive wont i be able to just install linux on that drive and dual boot.
    Yea it's the easy process. Just add the second drive as slave and make a fresh install on that drive of linux. And last install a GRUB or LILO on the MBR of first HDD. Then you will able to boot in booth OS.
    Does xp have an option that lets you boot from diferent drives? From what i have read and heard this should work ok but i wanted to know for sure. Thanks guys
    I think there is a process, "you will have to install the boot loader on the first serctor of your linux primary partation. And than any boot loader of windows may recognize the linux. i am not sure. I never tried this.

Last: Grub or Lilo will be the best choice.
    S. M. Ibrahim
    Registered Linux User # 394440

Pentium-IV 3.00 Ghz(Cache -2MB, 64 bit), 512 MB RAM , 128 MB agp, 160 GB Hdd (SATA)

Linux Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by S. M. Ibrahim
    hey guys, I am running windows xp and would like to use some linux to. However i do not want to partition my drive.
    You don't need to make new partition, just free up a space (10 - 15 GB enough) for linux and simple use that space. Nothing will change on XP except those space(hide).
    That would be called.. Resizing a partition and creating a new partition with the space.

Does xp have an option that lets you boot from diferent drives? From what i have read and heard this should work ok but i wanted to know for sure. Thanks guys
    I think there is a process, "you will have to install the boot loader on the first serctor of your linux primary partation. And than any boot loader of windows may recognize the linux. i am not sure. I never tried this.
    NTLDR can chainload GRUB or LILO in the same way they chainload it.
    200mhz Pentium 1 with MMX, 128mb RAM, 10gb Seagate HDD. Beastly.

Linux Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeh
    That would be called.. Resizing a partition and creating a new partition with the space.
    That's true . But here i want to say he don't need to make to much change on the windows partation. He only need to free up some spaces.
    S. M. Ibrahim

Pentium-IV 3.00 Ghz(Cache -2MB, 64 bit), 512 MB RAM , 128 MB agp, 160 GB Hdd (SATA)

Linux Newbie
    Which is generally a bad idea. Never, ever trust partition resizing tools, they have a tendency to go bad.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeh
    Which is generally a bad idea. Never, ever trust partition resizing tools, they have a tendency to go bad.
    OK!!! Then if i have only one HDD and I want to install any other OS. What should be the good process?
    P.S: I have no think/capability to buy a new one.
    S. M. Ibrahim

Linux Newbie
    There are tools (norton ghost is capable of it iirc) which can backup an entire HDD, and restore it to a smaller partition. I would do that, backup windows in that fasion, set up my partitions, restore windows to the now shrunk first partition, and then get on with linux. However the windows install would need to be very thoroughly defragmented.