Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi im having problems installing linux on my winxp Sp2 desktop. it goes through all the set up satges, up until the point where it asks about partitioning the HD. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

problems installing linux on my winxp Sp2 desktop

Hi
    im having problems installing linux on my winxp Sp2 desktop. it goes through all the set up satges, up until the point where it asks about partitioning the HD. at this stage it wont automatically partition my drive for me, but will install linux only - removing the windows os.

ive tried manually partitiioning, but got it wrong and removed the win os.

i have had a dual boot before on the same machine, with a smaller hd(10g as opposed to 35g) but the win os would not have been up to sp2. any ideas?

or any suggestions on how to manually partition and not loose my win os. im hoping to put have win xp, rh8 and fc4 on the machine. am i clutching at straws or can it be done?
    Thanks
    Damien

I believe there were some issues with the partition tools in FC. Personally I would use one of two other options - Install Partition Magic on your windows install and repartition using that, or use QTParted on a live disc such as Knoppix. However if you are reinstalling windows just tell it what size you want to create your install partition at the start.

Linux Newbie
    It can be done, and reasonably easily. You'll have to set up a custom partitioning scheme in a bootable CD, then install windows (it'll go for /dev/hda1 I believe), then install linux in the other partitions you set up (/dev/hda2 for RH, hda3 for FC4, hda4 as swap for example).

Whatever you do, don't install windows after installing linux, it just makes for headaches.

edit: Oh, and don't set up partitions with a windows installer. It loves to not work the way it should (it left the last 20gb of my drive unformatted when it should and could have made use of it).
    200mhz Pentium 1 with MMX, 128mb RAM, 10gb Seagate HDD. Beastly.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Hi Guys,
    Thanks for your help, ill give it a try.
    just one further question, if say i use patition magic, should i set it up as follows,

shrink and move the winxp image back to the last 10g of the disk and then created one partition with 10g for rh8 and the same for FC4.

Thanks
    Damien