Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, Im a student in year 12, unable to afford windows so i looked at cheaper alternatives. Linux sounded pretty good, supposedly free and faster then windows. I dont want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

help - First time linux user: What to get, how to use?

Hi,
    Im a student in year 12, unable to afford windows so i looked at cheaper alternatives. Linux sounded pretty good, supposedly free and faster then windows.

I dont want to sound ignorant, but i guess that is somewhat unavoidable. So if these questions have been asked before, just leave me with a link to previous threads.

1) What should I download: I need the system basically only for gaming, I want to be able to word process in my spare time, and probably also use adobe programs (Like: premier, aftereffects, pdf viewer and photoshop, for uni next year). So in otherwords, i would like to know what would be best for me to get, so that i can have my computer playing quake again in no time.

2) Any installation tips etc, stuff that i should look out for, any tweaks and the such. You know like the kind of thing that if you were with me, you would just run over quickly so that im not lost

Yeh, thats basically it I think. I dont really know what Im talking about, but im here for directions anyways

Thanks in advance.

edit: To refine this post a little more, will i also be able to play quake better in linux then in windows, considering that linux should be technically more efficient.

Also driver installation advice is also good ^_^;
    XP1800+ cpu
    a7s333 mobo
    gf4 ti4200
    40gig hdd
    8gig hdd (where ill install linux to use as learning but without cutting my other stuff out ^_~)
    /skythra

Just Joined!
    Hi,

For first-time Linux users, the best is to download Mandrake Linux 9.1 at http://www.mandrakesoft.com (Mandrake 9.2 will be released very soon).

You will have to check if OpenOffice.org is well installed on your computer. It includes a word-processor, spreadsheets, ...
    You can also try KOffice if you want and there's a ODF-viewer included.

I think that Quake is available under Linux, but there isn't a lot of good games under Linux as those that you can find under Windows.
    You won't find PhotoShop, Premiere or AfterEffects under Linux but there's a great tool who's pretty as good as PhotoShop : The Gimp !
    There's although a way to use Windows-softwares under Linux, by using Wine.

Is there a sound chip or a network card embeded on your mother board ?
    Try to find if they are supported under Linux.

Good luck, and sorry for my bad English.

Linux Newbie
    Hey thanks.

Well im pretty dedicated on using the adobe software, but ill have to deffinately have a look at that '!gimp' aswell.

Wine looks somewhat interesting, im guessing the 'e' being emulator, or equilivent or something...

I am however on a cap, 3gig, being in australia, cable internet is somewhat expensive, and so im somewhat limited to downloading redhat 9.0 or something *really confused* I mean ive heard of all of it before, but its like trying to do something by trial and error.. i should be fine..

What i should also ask for is about setting up network settings like tcp/ip etc..? Is that included etc?
    /skythra

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    If you can't download Mandrake and burn it on CD's (3), you can buy a Mandrake Box (Standart or Power Pack, forget the ProSuite). It's not very expensive ... about 45 euros for the Standart Edition in France.

If you're lucky and a well-reconized network card, you will be asked to configure your network on install. Don't worry about that.

There are also some Live Distros like Knoppix (1 CD) ... you just boot with the CD and have Linux, and nothing on your hard drive !

Linux Engineer
    mandrake will be 2gig max, probably only 1.4gig coz i think u only really need the first 2 cd's.

its got soem REALLY easy networkign wizards (as in click ur netowkr card driver, then type an ip if u want static and thats about it). can u post up what chipset ur netowrk cards/cable modem uses. some of them might not be supported by default so its good to dload drivers b4 u install it.

Linux Newbie
    Unless i can find telstra hosting for mandrake (they may, ill have a look, they had redhat after all..) I wont be able to download it.

Cosidering i lost my job, i dont think ill be buying too much, and if i was gonna buy something, id buy windows, probably 2000. No use in paying for something i dont understand!

But considering i have some spare time, ill see who has what and what is where, and see if i cant learn something new for free.

Ill probably have more questions soon im sure.

Edit: Found mandrake 9.1 on the telstra site!

Okay, My next question is just something to help me, will it boot off the cd when i burn the iso? Or will i have to create a boot disk or anything? (i have at least 2hours before ill have them to cd but i just want to know what im doing first )
    /skythra

Linux Guru
    It will boot off the CD just fine if you burn the ISO directly to the CD (ie. don't make the all too common mistake of putting the ISO as the only file on a filesystem on the CD).

I don't think that Quake is available in its original version for Linux, but there is a clone of the Quake engine, QuakeForge, which you can find here:
    http://www.quakeforge.net/
    Just give it your original Quake PAK files and you'll have a clone of Quake on Linux. The documentation gives more on that.

Like Greg L. said, you will most probably not be able to run Adobe programs on Linux, since (as far as I know) they are only distributed for Windows. It is important to note that Linux cannot run Windows executables. Neither will Microsoft's office suit be available, of course.
    On the other hand, there are almost always counterparts. Greg L. mentioned OpenOffice and the GIMP; OpenOffice is (quite naturally) an office suit, very similar to Microsoft Office. The GIMP is The GNU Image Manipulation Program, highly praised by many as the best imaging program around. There is a forum for it here as well.
    There are several PDF viewers; you can use pdf2ps to convert them to PostScript, or view it directly with Ghostscript or any of its front-ends such as gv or ggv. Adove also distributes their own proprietary PDF viewer for Linux. I don't really see the advantages of it, though, but nonetheless, it's there if you want it.
    I can't say that I know any counterpart for Premiere or AfterEffects, but if you look around a bit, you just might find one.

Again, there is of course Wine for running Windows programs, but it doesn't always work. Although I have heard great success stories about it, I have never gotten it to work (on the other hand I haven't tried to hard either, but nonetheless).

Linux Newbie
    Thanks for all the help.

I have linux installed now, in fact the dhcp gave me an ip and mandrake just took it and connected me to the net, and i waded over here. Now, all i have to do is start working out things like: how to get a cd rom working, (it installed off it, but didnt automatically detect it in mandrake???! anyways, ill browse the forums and stuff for that, im sure many many people have allready asked that basic question.

Again thanks alot, ill keep posting here if i run into more problems.

edit: Okay, it can *see* the cdrw, but, all it does is stall the pc. Any help/sugestions would be appreciated thanks!
    /skythra

Linux Engineer
    what do u mean by see...

if u open a terminel and type su
    then enter your root password
    then type mcc
    now go to the hardware listing thing and see what it is detected as.

it shoudl say scd0
    IF it says hdc (or hd anything) open another terminal and type the but about su again, now type "kwrite /etc/lilo.conf" without the quotes and etid the append line in the "linux" section with "hdc=ide-scsi"

mandrake detected this for me and set it up peroperly so its proabbly already done for u.

if u try to open /mnt/cdrom or /mnt/cdrom2 in a file browser what happens.

Linux Newbie
    Okay ill do that, by see, when i went to burn a cd it came up with the name of the drive, but just crashed etc.

When booting it says the following:
    Code:
    hda:timeout waiting for DMA
    hda: drive not ready for command
    NIT version 2 booting
    (everything else checks as okay)
    Ill do what you said now! Thanks for the help.

edit:
    if u open a terminel and type su
    then enter your root password
    then type mcc
    now go to the hardware listing thing and see what it is detected as.
    i did that, and the following came up in the terminal.

Code:
    Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect modual parameters, including IO or IRQ parameters.
    You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
    modprobe:insmod /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.013mdk/kernel/drivers/block/floppy.o.gz failed
    modprobe: insmod floppy failed
    /lib modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/block/floppy.o.gz: init-module:driver or resource busy
    Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect modual parameters, including IO or IRQ parameters.
    You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
    modprobe:insmod /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.013mdk/kernel/drivers/block/floppy.o.gz failed
    Warning: skip "wp" field => "yes"

Warning: skip "raw_type" field  => "DC-ROM       ANSI SCSI revision:02"

Warning: skip "host" field => "no"

Warning: skip "lun" field => "00"

*opens a screen similar to the windows device manager*
    AFter that, it freezes, i had to manually copy the code into a book, and then transpose here...

This is interesting, i have the floppy drive disabled in the bios, so shouldn't it NOT try to look for one? Or do i have to do that manually?

edit 02: If you read this just before, it said my computer kept freezing, well, thats cause i overclocked it to 1.8, so i could play q3 in windowsXP properly.. well, with better fps. ANYWAYS!

edit03: To add to the growing list of questions that come from a whole day of linux installed, if my cd-writer (48x24x4 isnt said to be specifically compatible on the mandrake website, however earlier versions of the cd-rw were, (ie 12x8x12 etc), would that imply that mine has a good chance of working? Or does this explain why my CD-RW is totally useless, and the computer just freezes each time i try using it.

Thanks in advance.
    /skythra

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast