Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I just installed Slackware 9.0 on my Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop, and have set up everything except for my network card It is a Broadcom 440x, and I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    da
    Just Joined!

Problems with NIC on Dell Inspiron 5100

Hi,

I just installed Slackware 9.0 on my Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop, and have set up everything except for my network card It is a Broadcom 440x, and I have installed the linux drivers for it. They seemed to of installed ok, but I cannot even ping my router? When I try a ping I just get network is unreachable

Does anyone know what else I need to do to get this thing working?? I'm pretty new to "proper" linux, having only used Mandrake before (for shame!), and I would really appreciated some help!

Thanks

Linux Guru
    Have you set up the IP configuration? Are you using static IP addresses or DHCP? Check with ifconfig so that card has an address. If it has, then check the routing table (with "route -n"), so that the gateways and all are correctly set up.

da
    Just Joined!
    Hi Dolda,

My router is running a DCHP server so it should assign it an address. If i type in ifconfig it tells me it has an address of 127.0.0.0 so it's obviously not picking one up.

Linux Guru
    I haven't tried slackware. What DHCP client does it ship with? Common ones are pump, dhcpcd and dhclient.

da
    Just Joined!
    WOO HOO! I done it! I didn't realise I had to run anything else too. I checked and it has dchpcd installed, I ran it and it's all good now! I'm online yay!

Will this run automatically at startup though? Or is there a way of making it run at startup? So I don't have to keep opening a terminal and running DHCPCD.

Linux Guru
    I'm sure there is, but I don't know how to do it properly in Slackware. Wait until some Slackware user sees this thread and replies.