Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Now that my system see's my CD-ROM and what not, I am going to install Slackware. My current distro is Red Hat 7.3. Anything I should know before? And can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Gonna load Slackware...

Now that my system see's my CD-ROM and what not, I am going to install Slackware. My current distro is Red Hat 7.3. Anything I should know before? And can I load Slackware through Linux? Or do I have to boot from the CD-ROM?

Just Joined!

Re: Gonna load Slackware...

Quote Originally Posted by Rayman2k2
    Now that my system see's my CD-ROM and what not, I am going to install Slackware. My current distro is Red Hat 7.3. Anything I should know before? And can I load Slackware through Linux? Or do I have to boot from the CD-ROM?
    If you download a ISO image from a slackware mirror and then burn the image on CD-Rom, it's already bootable.

Yes, Slackware is more complicated but a very good distro.

Installation is easy, just follow the steps asked and your done. Slackware is a complete distro and comes up with a lot of packages. It's easy to install a tgz package by using: installpkg

View the packages installed: pkgtool
    mousesetup will configure: gpm for you
    netsetup: generate a network config

Hope this helps.

Just Joined!
    okay, I have the Slackware .iso on a CD, but, when I put it in, it's not booting, so how do I get it to boot? The CD is assigned hdg...

Linux Guru
    Did you burn it correctly? You didn't put the ISO file in a CD filesystem, did you? Have you enabled CD booting in your BIOS?

Just Joined!
    yup, CD boots first...I burned it with Nero, should I have chosen the "bootable cd" option rather than the ".iso" version?

Also, what is the numerical value of hdg? I remember that hde was 2101...

Just Joined!
    Are you planning to write-over RH? I have used Slackware before and if you're planning to upgrade your RH into Slackware, you might want to checkout things a bit more since there might be problems later in your
    config files if you do an upgrade instead of a write-over.

Just Joined!
    i'm probably just gonna do a write-over

Linux Guru
    I haven't used Nero for more than a year, so I don't know about all its options and so. If you open the CD in Windows, do you see a couple of files or just the .iso file?

The device number for hdg is 2200. 2101 isn't hde, really, but hde1.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    I haven't used Nero for more than a year, so I don't know about all its options and so. If you open the CD in Windows, do you see a couple of files or just the .iso file?

i knew i was missing a 1....

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000

I only see the .iso file. In fact, it isnt even the .iso file, its a file that when I click it, launch's roxio to burn the .iso file

also, since my comp for some reason cannot boot from the CD-Drive, any suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast