Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone. I am planning to install Linux Redhat 9 on a laptop machine. And have some questions. First I want to use the Windows boot manager and not GRUB ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

some questions, Windows + Linux

Hi everyone.

I am planning to install Linux Redhat 9 on a laptop machine. And have some questions.
    First I want to use the Windows boot manager and not GRUB or LILO or anything else. I found instructions on how to do that here:

http://www.tprthai.net/bootmgr.htm
    http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/multib..._win2k_fix.htm

Does this work? I will be dual booting with WinXP Home (not Win2000 or XP pro).

Second what if I want to 'uninstall' Linux? Will I be able to simply format the Linux partition back to FAT32? Last time I tried that with a Win98 boot disk and the fdisk tool - it didn't work (it couldn't format the linux partition). Why was that? What should I use instead? Maybe the formatting tools on the redhat cd can do this? Or do I have to use something like Partition Magic.

Just Joined!

Re: some questions, Windows + Linux

Quote Originally Posted by V7iktor
    Hi everyone.

I am planning to install Linux Redhat 9 on a laptop machine. And have some questions.
    First I want to use the Windows boot manager and not GRUB or LILO or anything else. I found instructions on how to do that here:

http://www.tprthai.net/bootmgr.htm
    http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/multib..._win2k_fix.htm

Does this work? I will be dual booting with WinXP Home (not Win2000 or XP pro).

Second what if I want to 'uninstall' Linux? Will I be able to simply format the Linux partition back to FAT32? Last time I tried that with a Win98 boot disk and the fdisk tool - it didn't work (it couldn't format the linux partition). Why was that? What should I use instead? Maybe the formatting tools on the redhat cd can do this? Or do I have to use something like Partition Magic.
    Well, I don't know if that option works described on the website, I didn't try it ...

* Uninstall linux is easy, just rm -R / and the "filesystem" is empty from files when done. But the partition still exists.
    * As far as I know you'll need to delete the partition and not format it. I think when you open fdisk (from windhooz) it will display a unknown partition or something. Delete the partition then make a new partition format it, if it's bigger than 2024mb it's automatically fat32.
    * Correct me if i'm wrong but the command and tool format is only windhooz related ....

Hope this helps,

Just Joined!
    I really messed something up the last time. I remember I deleted the partition, and then couldn't get that disk space back. fdisk just couldn't do it. Then I used disk druid that is on the redhat cd and used the -o option (IIRC) and that deleted all my partitions and I was able to reformat the whole drive to FAT32.

I'm sure I could have just reformatted the linux partition. But if you say I have to delete it and then recreate it then ok, sounds good. But I hope that doesn't affect the existing Windows partion?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by V7iktor
    I really messed something up the last time. I remember I deleted the partition, and then couldn't get that disk space back. fdisk just couldn't do it. Then I used disk druid that is on the redhat cd and used the -o option (IIRC) and that deleted all my partitions and I was able to reformat the whole drive to FAT32.

I'm sure I could have just reformatted the linux partition. But if you say I have to delete it and then recreate it then ok, sounds good. But I hope that doesn't affect the existing Windows partion?
    * We'll I'm almost sure that you can't format an existing linux partition back to a fat32 filesystem. Is this option possible within fdisk from windows?
    * I experienced in the past that fdisk from windows, isn't working that good. For example, try to delete a logical dos partition when you've already deleted the primary partition...You won't be able to delete it
    * Be aware that if you split up your disk correctly and you change something on a other partition (not the mbr) then it should never affect your other partition.... i

Hope this helps,

Just Joined!
    fdisk can't format anything, true, you need to use the format tool. And format won't recognise the linux partition. Sorry for not being clear.

I have to figure this out before I go any further (that would be burning Redhat cds LOL). I am not experianced with partitioning so I have a lot to learn. Thank you for your input daveo

Linux User

fdisk and format

you will need to run fdisk delete the partition. the problem with fdisk is that you need to choose the correct partition type when deleting it. It should be non-dos partition. then create a second partition. and format it.

if you have installed the linux bootloader then you will need to run fdisk /mbr to overwrite the master boot record.

If you are removing linux from a dual boot scenario then i recommend using partition magic to delete and recreate the partitions as it is much easier.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Linux Engineer
    run the linux version of fdisk, also called fdisk and a slightly nicer version of it called "cfdisk" you can use it to format a linux partition and change the filesystem back to fat32. it should be included on the distrobution disks.