Find the answer to your Linux question:
"Out of Memory: Killed process 1722(udev)" Thats the error I got when I was trying to use the LiveDVD. It would never load. If I went to text mode, it'd ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SuSE 9.3 will not install... "Out of Memory: Killed process 1722(udev)"

"Out of Memory: Killed process 1722(udev)"
    Thats the error I got when I was trying to use the LiveDVD. It would never load. If I went to text mode, it'd stop at "Loading IDE" or something like that, and then after restarting for like the millionth time, I tried diffrent settings (verbose I think, vesta maybe, I dont know..) I got that error that I put above.

I just want this thing to friggin' work, and well, im having no luck what-so-ever.

I was playing around in Mandrake the other day, and I cant even get it to load now! I have no idea whats going on.

You can't install from the live DVD, you have to download an install DVD.

Just Joined!
    Either way, I cant even use it.

I cant get it to load, so im not going to waste my time downloading the install dvd without even being able to test out the livedvd.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Maybe you a have a memory module that's going bad, Get Memtest86 and verify that you're ram is okay.

http://www.memtest86.com/

FWIW, I think the SuSE live cds leave a bit to be desired; they have never been as good as the live cds from knoppix or ubuntu for some reason.

Which is to say, if you're a reasonably patient person I would suggest giving the actual SuSE install a chance.

Just Joined!
    So, im going to download it now.

However, I dont want to download the 4 or 5 iso disks, but on the Novell site it said that those where the 32bit ones, and the installdvd (one download), was the 64bit.

But, with a link like this: DVD ISO image (32bit + 64bit, 4,3 GB)
    what would I get? The 32bit version AND 64? I only need the 32..

Linux Newbie
    As far as I know, the 64 bit net install image can be used on 32 bit machines, but I haven't tried it. I don't see why they'd create one only for 64 bit..
    200mhz Pentium 1 with MMX, 128mb RAM, 10gb Seagate HDD. Beastly.

Suse Out of Memory issues

In case anyone is still having out of memory issues with Suse installation I found a solution to my problem after quite a few attempts with Opensuse 10.1 net install on an AMD K6 500MHz system with 256Mb of memory. Perhaps something like this will help with similar problems.

First I booted up the system with Knoppix and used fdisk to create a large (1.5Gb - excessive, I know) linux swap partition on the back end of the install drive (/dev/hda5). Started the install in text mode and once Yast had started up I switched to a terminal shell (ALT-F5) and used the following commands:
    Code:
    mkswap /dev/hda5
    then:
    Code:
    swapon /dev/hda5
    and to confirm:
    Code:
    cat /proc/swaps
    and
    Code:
    free
    I wasn't sure if the installer would recognize the new swap area but when the system ran out of physical memory it swapped out.

Hope this helps someone else with a similar problem.

g