Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I just finished installing a dual boot of XP pro. and Mandrake 9.0. The following two drivers are giving me problems : 1. Soundblaster Live 5.1 sound card - ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

"soundblaster Live! 5.1" and modem drivers for ma

Hi,
    I just finished installing a dual boot of XP pro. and Mandrake 9.0. The following two drivers are giving me problems :

1. Soundblaster Live 5.1 sound card - This is a card that is in the Dell dimension desktops. Apparently, the EMU10K1 Linux driver for Soundblaster Live cards doesn't work in this case. So, www.opensound.com seems to have a driver specifically for this sound card. However, that is usable only for a fixed period after which you have to buy it. Does anybody know if I can get the driver for free (for eternity) ?.

2. My modem is an internal modem : Conexant smart HSF V92 56K PCI.
    I checked out the Conexant site. They say that they do not have drivers for linux. However, there is this site called linuxant.com which has drivers although you have to buy it (this time there is no free trial period too). Again, any free links ?

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Sanjiv

Linux Guru
    1. Sorry, but currently there is no free driver for the EMU10K1X (which is the variant used in newer Dells). It is important to note that it is cheaper to buy a real SoundBlaster Live instead of buying the drivers from opensound.

2. Try http://www.linmodems.org/