Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
ok, so if I install xp onto a partition on my comptuer, install the neccesary drivers for his laptop, I can create a ghost image and transfer it via floppies? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

ok, so if I install xp onto a partition on my comptuer, install the neccesary drivers for his laptop, I can create a ghost image and transfer it via floppies? (that would be a lot of floppies)

Well basically you make a clone image of a working system, then from a system acting as a server you can drop the image to the laptop. You make a boot floppy that has network drivers for your laptop, and connect the laptop with some crossover Cat5 to the server. You can then drop the working image to the laptop, though of course there may be some hardwar detection problems there. It is messy, but you seem short of options. Google Symantec Ghost to get the idea of what happens, it's actually cool software though works best in a sysprep or machine cloning situation.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by George Harrison
    Alcohol 120% or Daemon-Tools both do what you have described. I dislike both simply because they can be confusing at first and both programs (especially Alcohol) lodges itself in the registry deeply to where it's kinda hard to get rid of it fully. D-Tools is quite confusing if you are new to these types of apps. Alcohol has a nice little menu screen to do stuff and it's simple to get used to.

Alcohol

D-Tools
    No, neither do what he wants. Alcohol and Daemon will mount a CD image, but you cannot boot off it.
    200mhz Pentium 1 with MMX, 128mb RAM, 10gb Seagate HDD. Beastly.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeh
    Alcohol 120% or Daemon-Tools both do what you have described. I dislike both simply because they can be confusing at first and both programs (especially Alcohol) lodges itself in the registry deeply to where it's kinda hard to get rid of it fully. D-Tools is quite confusing if you are new to these types of apps. Alcohol has a nice little menu screen to do stuff and it's simple to get used to.

Alcohol

D-Tools
    No, neither do what he wants. Alcohol and Daemon will mount a CD image, but you cannot boot off it.

Disregard my posts then. I only played with Alcohol for a half a day, I was under the impression that you could boot off a mounted iso. Sorry for the confusion.
    Registered Linux user #393103

Linux User
    well I can get the netboot to start, but I can't boot to an image.

I dissasembled an external IDE hard drive, and used it to connect a cd drive via usb. my system can boot to it, maybe a bios update will allow him to. or, is there a boot floppy that will allow booting to a usb cdrom?

on a somewhat related note, I got this to load: http://www.zachtib.com/pics/snapshot1.png

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeh

Alcohol

D-Tools

Disregard my posts then. I only played with Alcohol for a half a day, I was under the impression that you could boot off a mounted iso. Sorry for the confusion.
    Nope, it's basically the same as a loopback filesystem in linux. It mounts it only after the system is running, so it's not possible to boot from it.
    200mhz Pentium 1 with MMX, 128mb RAM, 10gb Seagate HDD. Beastly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2