Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, i'm very new with linux, now i install it (suse 9.3) with windows xp sp2, and i use partition magic to create partition and multiboot ( i try to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

help pls

hi,
    i'm very new with linux, now i install it (suse 9.3) with windows xp sp2, and i use partition magic to create partition and multiboot ( i try to install linux at slave hdd), is it correct? i dont wanna make any mistake that will kill my pc....
    thanks.

::Split from another thread:: Please don't hijack threads.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Guru
    Yeah, you don't want to kill your pc.
    Quote Originally Posted by enigmamachine
    ...i try to install linux at slave hdd...
    If you have XP on one drive and Linux on another drive (a real drive: connected to the same or a different cable), then you may not need to change the partitions. You only need to change the partitions if you want Windows and Linux on the same physical drive. Linux will need at least 5Gb to 15Gb depending on what programs you install with it.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!

Re: help pls

Quote Originally Posted by enigmamachine
    hi, :roll:
    i'm very new with linux, now i install it (suse 9.3) with windows xp sp2, and i use partition magic to create partition and multiboot ( i try to install linux at slave hdd), is it correct? i dont wanna make any mistake that will kill my pc....
    thanks.
    Try this:
    http://www.geocities.com/dt2pc/distro.htm
    http://www.geocities.com/dt2pc/windows.htm
    http://www.geocities.com/dt2pc/linux.htm

Since you already have Windows installed, don't worry about the second step. If you are installing these onto different drives, just boot from the SuSE install disk, reformat the second drive.

You are probably using a 32-bit intel chip (if you don't know what you are using, you almost certainly are). So grab a distribution that is X86 (like a 386). Burn it to disc, boot from disc and follow the installer. Make sure Windows leaves at least 10 gigabytes free for your Linux.

Whatever distribution you choose, it will install a bootloader (lilo or grub) which enables you to use either OS. When installing make sure you use a journaling file system (ext3 or reiserFS). I suggest ext3. Format about 1 gig free for a SWAP drive (using the SuSE install disk, not Partition Magic or something like that), a SWAP partition basically acts as virtual memory for Linux. As a warning, Linux cannot write to an NTFS drive, which is what WinXP uses. So if you have MP3's or whatnot on Windows, you can read it (play the music) but not change it or add to it. Windows cannot read or write to Linux file systems without a third-party program.

One way to alleviate this is to constrain Windows and Linux to partitions that are, say 10 gigabytes a piece. Just for programs. The rest of you HD space could be a big Fat32 (max size for fat drives is around 35 gig) partition. Both Windows and Linux support reading and writing to a Fat32 drive. Alternately you can leave a small partition of 1 gig for Fat32, so you can easily transfer files between the two operating systems.

Enjoy

Jambarama

Just Joined!

thanks

thanks, now i still wait for download all 5 cd... , then wanna install linux in my pc

Just Joined!

problem with md5sum

i already burnt 1st cd and successfully boot linux from cd, then when system check the md5sum, it's showed "failed", so should i continue installation, abort or re-download the files?
    thanks a lot for helping me....( i want linux run properly in my pc..... )