Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello...i am a beginer with linux . what is the best SMALL linux disto. and that has KDE or any good GUI Its Going on a: 100MHZ intel pentium 1 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Beginer...

Hello...i am a beginer with linux . what is the best SMALL linux disto. and that has KDE or any good GUI

Its Going on a:

100MHZ intel pentium 1
    30MB Ram
    2GIG HD
    Serial Port Mouse

Hope Some One Replys Soon :o

Linux Guru
    For cases like that, I usually recommend RedHat 7.1 with GNOME.

Just Joined!

where?

Where do i get that? :o

Linux Guru
    Most mirror sites archive old versions. You can browse the mirrors from here:
    http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/

I don't know where you live, so I can't say which one is the fastest for you, but I would download it from here:
    ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distrib...1/en/iso/i386/

Just Joined!

How Big?

How big is when installed?

Linux Guru
    That differs depending on what components you install, but you can install a system with GNOME and stuff in under 800 MBs.

Just Joined!

Smaller?

Is there a smaller one? like not red hat?

Linux Guru
    Mandrake is probably as large. You can try Gentoo, but that it clearly harder to install. Or build a system manually, but that is substantially harder than any. I don't know about other distros, since I haven't tried them.
    You can also strip some more components, like the C compiler and other development stuff if you feel that you don't need it. They take pretty much space.

Linux User
    If you wanted to save some space you could install something like fluxbox as your gui. It's easy to use and fairly simple to configure and defiently smaller than Gnome or KDE. I don't know if it comes on the Slackware 9.0 CD's or not, but you could always install everything but Gnome or KDE and just use a text based web browser to download it then compile it.

Linux Enthusiast
    wow, hate to disagree with most people here, but that is not a good system for rh, even an older one. you could maybe get away with it if you use a light wm like flux like suggested, but even that is pretty bad.

I would say to go with vector if you want gui. It comes with xfce, fluxbox and icewm if you install xfree on it. A full install is 650mb. It is made for machines like yours. (well a bit faster would help) I run vector on a P166 with 48mb edo ram and it is far from fast but still usable. Wait till 4.0 final comes out though, the two rc's have been rather glitchy.

If you had any use for it, the best bet would be use that box as a router/firewall with something like trustix in text mode only.

jmho.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast