Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I am brand new to Linux. I am trying to dual boot my Windows Xp SP2 with SUSE 9.3. I have a 200GB IDE HDD and only formatted 127GB ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help with GRUB

Hi I am brand new to Linux. I am trying to dual boot my Windows Xp SP2 with SUSE 9.3. I have a 200GB IDE HDD and only formatted 127GB for windows. Windows running fine for some time now. I have around 75gb free and installed SUSE 9.3 Pro on the remaining space. However, after it installs, GRUB comes up and I can't see the option to pick what distro to use. I simply get error 18. I was reading up on this earlier but dont know how to fix it. I can not get a bios upgrade, its the newest one. I can boot into SUSE with the DVD and then go to install then go to boot distro. I eneded up using the windows xp disc to restore the MBR so I can load windows and delete the linux partitions. I am reinstalling SUSE but don't know how I'm going to bypass error 18 in GRUB.

Thanks

Linux Guru
    If you can use the CD to boot to your system, do that and then at a command line, do 'info grub'. You will see how to install Grub both to a floppy (assuming you have a floppy drive) and to the hard drive. With a Grub boot floppy, you will be able to boot to the Grub command line and then work from there. You will also be able to intall Grub to the hard drive with the floppy. Read nerderello's tutorial for more details.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    k i reinstalled GRUB. Now I just don't now how to fix this error 18. I tried this on an older 13 Gig HDD with SuSE by itself and it all worked good. Unfortunately tho, i needed to give it back to my buddy (it was his). Hmm I dunno why I can't boot into GRUB.

it could be a damaged hard disk. if you haven't already, you can try the SuSE automatic repair and select the option to fix GRUB.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Did you build this system?
    Is the 200GB harddrive a new addition?
    Is the reason that the WinXP partition size is 127GB because Windows would allow you to have a partition any larger?
    Does you motherboard support 48bit LBA? If not this is why you're getting the Grub Error 18.

Just Joined!
    No I didnt build the system.

Yes the 200GB HDD is fairly new. I got it because my stock one broke. The motherboard is an OEM from HP, its an ASUS board. There are no bios upgrades for it. It is about a 3-4 year old model (uses SDRAM)

No the windows XP Partition I think I set to 130Gb or something around there. I did not let it use the full 200 becuase I planed on dual booting with Linux

How would I go about seeing if I have 48bit LBA?

If the system is 3-4 years old then it won't support 48bit LBA. You need to buy a controller card that supports 48bit LBA.

HighPoint Rocket133 $34.00
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816115008

PROMISE ULTRA133 TX2 $38.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816102007

Just Joined!
    alright thanx man!

aslo does the card have to support linux under the OS section? Or would one that works with windows work iwth linux?

The reason I gave links to the controller cards above is that they are both are recognized and supported by Linux.