Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! Thanx for any help in advance! I have already tried out Suse 9.3 in a small PC I have, which already had windows Xp sp1 on and found the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Eos
    Just Joined!

Dual windows Xp boot + Suse 9.3

Hi! Thanx for any help in advance!
    I have already tried out Suse 9.3 in a small PC I have, which already had windows Xp sp1 on and found the dual boot config quite easy. Everything fine...
    Now I want to install Suse 9.3 in my main PC which already has a dual boot system with 2 windows xp sp1 os on the same hard disc (2 partitions C, D). I will propably resize D and give 10Gb to the Linux install or use another partition on another hard disc, I haven't decided yet. Well, will installing Linux and the boot loader (I think lilo) work the same way as in my first pc or will it mesh up the windows loader

The bootloader for 9.3 is actually grub, just as an FYI.

It should set up your tri-boot for you, but if it doesn't and merely sets up a dual-boot, just copy the boot lines in /boot/grub/menu.lst for the WindowsXP install it "sees" and change the partition info to make it relevant to your other XP install. If you have any problems with doing that, your friends here at LFDO will be more than happy to help you out with it.

As far as resizing, make sure that the partition you're resizing is VERY well defragmented (I usually run a chkdsk /r as well). I haven't personally lost any data resizing NTFS partitions but I do know people who have.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Eos
    Just Joined!
    Thanx for the amazingly fast reply
    Since I'm kind of new in Linux I can't help but ask:
    what are the chances it will make it right from the start and I won't have to get to the manual way you proposed? Cause it seemed a bit complicated...I'm not being lazy. I just can't risk losing access to any of the windows os.

The chances are pretty good it will just set up your tri-boot configuration by itself. If not, you can ask your friendly LFDO guys here, and we can walk you through step by step.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Eos
    Just Joined!
    Ok! I'll go for it sometime in the coming days and hopefully post back through a linux system
    Thanx

Just Joined!

Here is Your answer

How To Install SUSE 9.1 with Windows XP

Here are the instructions to dual boot the computer with suse 9.1 and windows xp

if your computer is setup with windows xp and you have more than two partitions then you can setup the suse easily without formatting your windows xp here is how you can do that i prefer and recommend four partitions one for windows xp and one for Linux and one for Backup of windows data and one is shared FAT32 formatted : -
    C:- 10GB Windows xp NTFS
    D:- 10GB SUSE 9.1 ext2or ext3
    E: 10GB Common NTFS or Fat32
    F: 8GB Shared must be FAT32

now if you have four partitions and your computer is setup with windows xp then
    insert your bootable windows xp cd and then boot into cd untill the partition screen is not visible , when you are at partition screen, delete an existing partition that has no data and leave it as unpartitioned space now you leave with three main partitions and one unpartitioned space(10GB) now restart your PC with SUSE 9.1 cd into drive. then manually install it YAST i.e. yet another setup tool will determine the unpartitioned space and will install the linux on that unpartitioned space. when your computer is setup totally you have partitions that i write in above table by this method your MBR of windows will be untouched throught the installation of linux and if any problem occurs you can boot into windows by just restarting the computer this method works for me and works for anybody, after installations the last partition you have just format it with FAT32 format or if its previously formated with FAT32 then there is no need to format it again, the main use of formatting a partition by FAT32 is both linux and windows can write on FAT32 partition but linux can'not write on NTFS so now you have a shared partition also with the help of which you can move your data from linux to windows & vice-versa.