Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello....jeesus all i want to do is automount a few FAT32 drives..........but i cant seem to get it to work. I can mount them ok: mount /dev/hdg6 /mnt/Music this mount ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

FRUCKEN HELL!!

Hello....jeesus all i want to do is automount a few FAT32 drives..........but i cant seem to get it to work.

I can mount them ok:

mount /dev/hdg6 /mnt/Music

this mount drive hdg6 in music...and i have got that working fine..

Then i want to auto mount it......so i read on numerous sites different ways of doing it...i end up typing this line into fstab located in /etc/

/dev/hdg6 /Music ext3 defaults 1 2

i got this from teh red hat 9 docs.....

then i rebooted to see if it worked..and i got some ******** about wrong magic number and i had to enter my root password to try and repair the filesystem or some ****....

i have no idea how to fix it....i cant startx or do anything....it talks about e2fsk or something and superblocks also.

does anyone know my problem and know how to fix it......i was expecting that if it wouldn't auto mount that i could at least get into fstab and try another command....

could someone actually tell me how i should AUTO mount my FAT32 drive(s) take tme idiotically step by step through it....

also how do i check what file system i have chosen....i am certain that i chose ex3....but just to make sure.....

thanks

Linux Engineer
    I noticed you chose ext3 for fat32 filesystem. Since the filesystem is fat32 and not ext3, that won't work. You might have better luck using vfat instead. Also use 0 0 instead cause you don't need to dump or run fsck on that filesystem.

Linux Engineer
    also u say u want to moun tit as /mnt/Music but ur line in fstba will mount it as /Music (ie not in mnt directory)

Linux Engineer
    Code:
    mount -t vfat <device to mount> <mount directory>
    So if I had a FAT32 file system on my /dev/hda1 (first partition on the first IDE) and I want to mount this to /mnt then
    Code:
    mount -t /dev/hda1 /mnt
    If this is not listed in the /etc/fstab, you will have to be the root user. If you add an entry to /etc/fstab, then most likely, all users will be able to mount it easily with the mount command. Let me know if you need help with that.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Newbie
    dolda plz help

i am not sure on my 2ndary hard drive which one is vfat [fat32]

please tell me what is the command with which i can see the listing of all the partitions.

also then

tell me how to access the vfat partition from gnome. for anything

whether using a window browser to see the listing of files or playing music or vidoes from vfat.

Linux Guru
    Try this (providing that your "secondary" hard drive is the IDE primary slave):
    Code:
    fdisk -l /dev/hdb
    I don't know how to do it from GNOME, though; I seldomly use graphical methods.

Linux Engineer
    Were my instructions not clear? Once you've issued those commands, then you can use something like Nautilus to view it. Once a drive is mounted, it acts just like a directory.

Dolda
    Does fdisk work when disks are not mounted?
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru
    It certainly does. It just reads the physical partition table from from the drive, so it has nothing with the mount status to do.

Just Joined!
    yeah i got a flash drive (memorex 64mb) only ost me like 20$ not too bad i like it works great on winblows but i cant write to it from linux tells me i dont have permission is there anyway i can format it from linux kuz i dont really care if it works with windows its just my laptop dont have a floopy and that would sure be nice to move files around besides windows will read a linux format ok from what ive found(if there are any probles let me know) mostly ide just be transfering txt docs. back and fourth from word to openoffice

plz let mem know

Linux Guru
    Does root have permission to write to it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast