Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay, This isn't really an install question but heres what I'm wondering: I recently downloaded Linux Gentoo 1.4 and am currently having trouble installing it (altough I got help on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

why don't they?

Okay,
    This isn't really an install question but heres what I'm wondering:
    I recently downloaded Linux Gentoo 1.4 and am currently having trouble installing it (altough I got help on this fourm that should get me through the install tonight). Linux Gentoo has no installer, theres tons of versions of linux out there with installers so I'm guessing theres a good reason gentoo dosen't have one I just have no idea why. I was hoping someone here would be more 'in the know' and explain why the choose to release it without one. Its not a 'need help' thing but a curiosty I hope someone can help me with.
    Thanks

-Kris Tanner

p.s. I can think of one reason only but it would be more of a jerk thing on their part, not something I've known linux to make a habbit of but, they might just know linux users are good with linux, don't need an installer and if your not good if to install it without out one you don't need to install it (a keeping linux elite thing). Although I almost certin its not this because wouldn't all linux heads love to see a penguin crush a nerdy guy in redmond? I know I would.

The build .tbz2 file is a minimal set of system files that is necessary for allowing a user to bootstrap and install Gentoo Linux. The build .iso is a complete, bootable CD image that contains a system kernel, a reasonably complete set of kernel modules, necessary system tools such as mkfs and networking support, as well as the .tbz2 minimal-system tarball. Most users will install Gentoo Linux by burning the .iso file onto a CD, booting off of the CD, and installing from within the minimal linux environment provided by the Gentoo boot CD. It is possible, however, for users to install Gentoo Linux directly from an already-existing Linux distribution. Such users need only download the .tbz2 file, install the contents on a spare partition (making sure to use the p flag when untarring the tarball!), chroot, and install in the usual fashion.
    from http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/faq.xml

Linux Engineer
    if you look on sf or freshmeat, you'll find a couple of installers that have been written for gentoo... not sure how effective they are (i just followed gentoo's instructions), but it's a start if you were wanting an installer..
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    i think that gentoo not having an installer is a good thing. but i think there should be an option to have one but the reason they dont is so that you can have more control over how it is installed and so it is more optimized to your computer and you taste. if you install from stage1 you will compile every little thing that you put into the system from stage2 all but the bootstrap. so this way code is compiled to your computers likings so it will prolly run faster. well thats my 2 cents
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Linux Engineer
    i've installed from stage1 and i'm loving my *smaller*, *faster* new system... even the things that are frustrating me are interesting because i'm learning more about linux getting gentoo completely configured than i ever did with mandrake, rh, suse, caldera (years ago), etc. and i agree with you that the lack of an installer is a good thing.. especially with such specific instructions on their website.. at first the idea of no installer kinda worried me that i wouldn't be able to do it, but it's a lot easier than i thought...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

The thing about Gentoo is that they're aiming for a different group of people than RH or Mandrake. They don't care if Joe Blow can d/l Gentoo, burn it, boot it and install with the click of a mouse. The premise of Gentoo is to give total flexibility and optimizibility from the get-go so that if you really want to, you can have a system perfectly suited for your needs.

This is one of the greatest things about the Linux community...no matter what type of user you are, you can find something that suits your fancy. You can install with pretty GUI or you can go txt all the way and squeeze the most performance that you can out of your CPU. Or you can hit a happy medium. Choice. Freedom. OSS.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Engineer
    PREACH ON BROTHA!! :P