Find the answer to your Linux question:
First, I hate windows. Second, can you prevent it from changing the boot flags of the various partitions on your hd? Third, I'll keep on searching the posts for the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Window changes the boot flags, argh.

First, I hate windows. Second, can you prevent it from changing the boot flags of the various partitions on your hd? Third, I'll keep on searching the posts for the answer, but since I haven't found it in the first 20 minutes, I thought I'd post.

Just Joined!
    Well, I got around this problem temporarily by creating a simple grub boot floppy following these simple instructions; it took about 5 minutes. Now, I leave the floppy in all the time and grub loads from it which increases my boot time (to get to the grub menu) by about 5-10 seconds. Not the ideal situation, so I'm still looking for feedback.

Linux Engineer
    Use cfdisk or similar to toggle the bootable flag on a partition.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I'm sorry, I didn't state my problem clearly. I do use fdisk (or cfdisk) to toggle the flags, but then when I load windows (which is on the second partition) it changes the flags: it unflags my first (/boot partition) and flags the second (windows partition). It happens every time I load windows. With the floppy booting first, however, I circumvent the problem for now, cause it doesn't matter which one is flagged.