Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello, I'm trying to install Fedora Core 4 but my media fails the initial test everytime. I've downloaded the ISOs multiple times and run checksums on them. I was not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Media Fails everytime.

Hello,

I'm trying to install Fedora Core 4 but my media fails the initial test everytime.

I've downloaded the ISOs multiple times and run checksums on them. I was not able to run the SHA1 checksum to match the file however all the downloads had matching MD5 checksums. I assume the files are good. I've burned on 2 different burners/machines with 3 different programs with 3 different brands of media at slow speeds. All in total I've now made 13 coasters.

I MUST be missing something.

Thanks for reading.

I had the same problem with FC4 but never had a failed install from the same disks. Skip the media test and install.

oz
    forum.guy
    Wow... it sounds like you've done about everything you can do, but it's still not working. You've really been through it.

If LondoJowo's suggestion doesn't work, I'd suggest either getting a friend to burn the CDs for you, or you can buy them from any one of many vendors that send out Linux on CDs for the price of the blank CD, and shipping and handling. If I remember correctly there are ads posted right here at LinuxForums to some of these vendors. A quick Google search will yield other sources for these CDs.

Good luck with it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by LondoJowo
    I had the same problem with FC4 but never had a failed install from the same disks. Skip the media test and install.
    Failed the first install without testing them. Then I insisted on the test. I can't be the only one with this problem.

Linux Engineer
    If it doesn't make strange noises during the media test, I think it should be fine. My CDs fail the media check but I installed everything just fine.

Just Joined!
    Trying the install again. failing on disk 2. Complete install.

Problem is, I got an install working. Just not a complete install.

Tried to install the Nvidia drivers and found I was missing GCC and kernel source.

arrgh.

Just Joined!
    Light at the end of the tunnel:

I have multiple disks so I'm swapping them out when they fail on a package.

Anyone know an SHA1 checksum took for win32? Maybe the images are crappy?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by a thing
    If it doesn't make strange noises during the media test, I think it should be fine. My CDs fail the media check but I installed everything just fine.
    Same experience here, but the reason is probably that we are lucky enough to not install the packages whose install source is located in the bad sectors.

I strongly suggest using ISO Buster to convert discs to ISOs and reburn. ISO Buster has a lot of error-correction facilities (and you don't have to worry about configuring them either - the error-correction is fully automatic).

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by jamadagni
    Quote Originally Posted by a thing
    Same experience here, but the reason is probably that we are lucky enough to not install the packages whose install source is located in the bad sectors.
    i did an "everything" install with failed disks and it installed fine and fast. strange
    registered linux user #390920 << makes me feel important

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by whisker
    i did an "everything" install with failed disks and it installed fine and fast. strange
    Now that's wierd... (taps head thrice)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast