Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, Quick question. Will Ghost 8 Corp edition have any issues ghosting linux installs? Also if I ghost an existing server and give it a new name and network ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ghosting Linux installs

Hi guys,
    Quick question. Will Ghost 8 Corp edition have any issues ghosting linux installs? Also if I ghost an existing server and give it a new name and network info is there anything else I need to do?

If you ghost a Windows 2000/2003 server and want to reuse the install for another server you need to run sysprep to remove the SID (secuirty identifier) of the server. Is there anything equivalent to that in Linux?

-Monti

As far as I know there is no such thing as a SID in Linux. I've yet to get a satisfactory answer on whether hardware detection will be any good or if something like a sysprep is needed - and no oppertunity to try a full ghosting.
    To the best of my knowledge ext2/ext3 partition images work the same as if it were fat32/ntfs but ReiserFS is not yet supported fully (at least in v8 ) so it will treat the partition as if it were full - 40GB partition = 40GB image, no compression or ignoring whitespace.

Although I've looked into this a bit I don't know anyone who's actually done a linux ghost install as of yet.

Linux User
    dd is your friend
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

dd is pretty good, but makes a 1:1 backup whereas Ghost will compress images.

Linux User
    could use partimage that can compress the file sizes and send them over the network, also udp cast can be considerd if ye do a master image and then want to deploy it to many computers.
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis