Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys; I just recently got Suse 9.3 installed on my computer after many, many headaches (for some reason, Suse really didn't like my AMD processor). However, to do so, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

2 Semi-Newbie Questions, please.

Hey guys;
    I just recently got Suse 9.3 installed on my computer after many, many headaches (for some reason, Suse really didn't like my AMD processor). However, to do so, I had to completely install over Windows (deleting everything in Windows), therefore, am going to have to reinstall Windows. I've never had Linux on my computer first before, so my question is, how do I set up the bootloader once I get Windows installed?

Secondly, I have no sound. When I installed Suse, during YAST, it found my sound card, found the drivers, actiivated it, and said everything was cool. However, when I booted Linux the first time, during POST (I think that's what that long line of hardware-checking process is called?), it said : "Sound-Devide .... Failed" in red. And I cannot listen to any music on this computer. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!
    -Brandon

Linux Engineer
    First you have to install Windows, because it will wipe your Linux boot loader anyway You can install Windows after Linux and reinstall your linux boot loader afterwards, no problem, but that's a bit more technical, and since this is your first linux encounter, I think we better keep it simple for now .
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    First you have to install Windows, because it will wipe your Linux boot loader anyway You can install Windows after Linux and reinstall your linux boot loader afterwards, no problem, but that's a bit more technical, and since this is your first linux encounter, I think we better keep it simple for now .
    So, once I install Windows again, how will I get back to LInux to that I can setup the boot loader? I know Windows likes to set itself up as the default OS, and doesn't really give you an option of choosing between itself and Linux.

Linux Engineer
    Boot from the SuSE install dvd/cd, choose the install option, proceed till you get the cd prompt 'SuSE setup has detected a previous install. Would you like to boot it'? Then choose yes, and reinstall the boot loader again from within YaST.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    Boot from the SuSE install dvd/cd, choose the install option, proceed till you get the cd prompt 'SuSE setup has detected a previous install. Would you like to boot it'? Then choose yes, and reinstall the boot loader again from within YaST.
    OKay, thanks!