Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I have setup, Linux and Windows in a PC and I choose to which OS to boot from LILO interface via keyboard. Now imagine that this PC is far ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Network boot loader

Hi

I have setup, Linux and Windows in a PC and I choose to which OS to boot from LILO interface via keyboard. Now imagine that this PC is far away than me (access via network), and I would like to choose what OS to boot remotely.

Is there any way to do it?
    Is there anything like VNC, but show me the boot interface to be able to choose the boot OS?

In the worst case that something does not exist about my problem, is there any boot loader that can interact with both OS (Linux and windows) and every time that I boot in one OS to configure it the next time to boot in another and the opposite.

Thanks

Linux User
    kvm over ethernet is the only thing i can think of.
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

Linux Guru

Re: Network boot loader

Grub has some network booting capability. I've just heard of it so I have no details, yet. That is intended for causing the remote computer to load a kernel from a server.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodias
    In the worst case that something does not exist about my problem, is there any boot loader that can interact with both OS (Linux and windows) and every time that I boot in one OS to configure it the next time to boot in another and the opposite.
    I think that could be done with a script to run during boot to either change the value for "default" in grub.conf or else to toggle between two different versions of grub.conf. Maybe this would work:
    Code:
    cp grub.last grub.next;cp grub.conf grub.last;cp grub.next grub.conf
    ...........but I don't know anything about scripting, either.

edit: sorry, that works for Linux, but not for Windows, unless Windows could do that same thing.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better