Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok guys here goes ! i boot with the boot CD, after couple of steps the Yast comes up i choose to go to Partition the HD my Self, when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux on Pentium 4 ?

ok guys here goes !
    i boot with the boot CD, after couple of steps the Yast comes up
    i choose to go to Partition the HD my Self, when it comes to partitions:
    1- i made a Primary partition dev/hda1, about 90 Megs (then i set it to Linux Swap Partition)
    2- then i made another Primary Partition dev/hda2 , and giving it the rest of my small 1.7 GB hardDisk, then i set its Type to (Linux Native )
    3- i choose continue, then comes the Screen of the Setting mount points (or FileSystems something like that .....) i have only Partition appearing its the linux native partition, then i Mount it to ( / ) root
    4- i then choose continue then confirm, formatting the drives and writing the information to its partition table, then it takes me to the place where i choose the packages to install the Base System
    5- then i choose the minimum package for exapmle (79 MB )
    6- then when i choose Start Installation, the error appears
    a dialouge box appears Saying (An error Occured During Installation Please go to Selection of Packages, check for Lost Packages)

then i press TAB to se the Reall error in the Log Window, it says :
    (Package aaa_base-99.4.19-0 is for a Different Architecture
    error: /var/adm/mount/suse/a1/aaa_base.rpm cannot be installed )

this is the lethal error i get, so please help fast guys cuz i really need to install linux please help me as soon as possible , and tell me is this is a compatibility problem ? or a defect in the CD or what ????

and please don't tell me to try another distribution, cuz i'm in Egypt, and i can't find linux here , and i'm on a DialUp connection, so can't download them niether, i only got this distro SuSE6.1 from my dad he sent it to me
    via DHL from the USA

Linux Guru
    It would seem as if suse-6.1 does have a compatibility issue. I don't really know how that could be, though, since the Pentium-4 is an IA32 processor.
    Does anyone know if the suse installation also forks out a shell like the redhat installation does?

Just Joined!
    can some one please confirm
    the reqiurements of SuSE 6.1 ??

i mean does it work on Intel Pentium 4 CPUs ??????

please reply and help me here

Linux Guru
    Technically, it should work on Pentium 4 CPUs, and the rest of the architecture is basically PS/2 compatible, so there aren't any incompatibilities in that way.
    My guess is that the package manager somehow doesn't recognize the Pentium 4 CPU as a valid CPU for the installation, probably since it's so old.
    Right now, I'm not sure what to do, though. That's why I'm asking if anyone knows if there's shell access in the suse installation.
    hamoksh: When the installation program has started, try pressing CTRL+ALT+F1, CTRL+ALT+F2 and so on up to F6 and report back to me what you see.

Just Joined!
    thank you very much man, ok i will !

i think pressing that will get the console or something like that right ?
    any way i'll inform u soon

thank you very much