Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I've had really good experiences with Kanotix (which I'm running right now on an older laptop), especially with getting wireless to work (it has a graphical utility for Ndiswrapper). It's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I've had really good experiences with Kanotix (which I'm running right now on an older laptop), especially with getting wireless to work (it has a graphical utility for Ndiswrapper). It's based on Knoppix, which is based on Debian so it uses .deb packages.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!
    I've got a Dell Latitude C610 laptop with a Netgear WG511 wireless card. I use Ubuntu, and it works great.

Previously, I had Xandros on the laptop, but the wireless card didn't work. In my researching of methods to get the card working, I discovered an OS review that said my wg511 worked with ubuntu (right out of the box), so i switched to Ubuntu and i've enjoyed it ever since.

Xandros, Ubuntu, Mepis, and Suse 9.3 (what i'm currently running) all work on my Dell Latitude C400 with an internal Atheros Wireless Card. Suse has been my favorite since i constantly switch between 3-4 different wireless networks. it's pretty user friendly i feel. i've only been using linux for a month and a half.
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!

Another vote for SuSE 9.3, runs nicely and even fast on my old laptop.

Just Joined!
    I have a dell 9300 working perfectly on Ubuntu 5.10. even the wireless card worked straight up.

Just Joined!
    Hey Mandriva is just it not because I am a user but cos I have used other distros as well. Really it has a wonderful WiFi support cos recently I set up to wireless LAN's for two of my companies clients and it is working perfectly well. Hope its a good advice. If you need the cd's you can source for the newest version that is Mandriva 2006

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkyro
    Fedora Core 3 works perfectly on my girlfriend's laptop
    Mine got a strange issue while testing a knoppix iso: all boots fine but while arriving on KDE she opens a term and realize that the kbd does not work at all: she could not write
    The laptop was a Dell Inspiron 6000. The best before buying a laptop is glancing at tuxmobil or linux-laptop...when u look at those websites u realize that a lot of people got a problem with the intel graphic chip on the dell but not the kbd

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2