Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hey im re-installing linux on my friends dell laptop and i was curious if there were any good laptop-friendly linux distrobutions. also going to need wifi capabilities. prefably a distro ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Laptop friendly linux distros?

hey im re-installing linux on my friends dell laptop and i was curious if there were any good laptop-friendly linux distrobutions. also going to need wifi capabilities.

prefably a distro that supports rpm and deb packages

any thoughts?

I'm using both SuSE 9.3 and SimplyMepis 3.3.2 Test02 on my Thinkpad T40. These are the only two distros I can get everything to work.

Linux Guru
    I'd second those, but also Mandriva is quite good. I ran my laptop for nearly two years on it.

Suse 9.3 works like a charm on my Dell laptop (Inspiron 1150).

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Linux Engineer
    I heard SuSE has good WiFi support. But I don't have Wireless myself, so I can't tell from experience .
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Ive used Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora and others and id say there all the same (just some files are in differnt places, or some lack a decent package manager) we also dont know what wireless card it has or the make of laptop these would help.

FC4 and SUSE in my experience have good "out of the box" support. Debian is good as it forced me to learn how to get it to work. The best solution is get a card that has a long track record to work in linux and you should have no problem with a little diligence . The only distro so far that I have tried that absolutely would not work on my Dell 5100 laptop was Agnula/Demudi. It would not even boot to install.
    "If you are out to describe the truth leave elegance to the tailor."
    -Einstein

Linux Newbie
    Fedora Core 3 works perfectly on my girlfriend's laptop
    You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.

Linux Newbie
    PCLinuxOS worked perfectly with WiFi in about 5 minutes, and so did SuSE 9.3 for me.
    There is no problem so complicated that you cannot find a very simple answer to it if you look at it in the right way

its a Dell somthing, but the Wifi Card is a liksys v5 of somthing, it was one of those bundle deals, i saw in the install for Mandrake (I REFUSE MANDRIVIA!) that it had ndiswrapper support in the install if you had the drivers, im guessing that this will be our best bet for one that will be a good stable laptop (plus Super tux rocks my socks)

thanks for all your help!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast