Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
OK well I'm installing now, but I'm a bit confused. I never saw anything that looked even close to a graphical partitioner. But the settings that came by default looks ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

OK well I'm installing now, but I'm a bit confused. I never saw anything that looked even close to a graphical partitioner. But the settings that came by default looks like it already did it for me.
    here are the settings:

Partitioning
    -Resize partition /dev/hda1 to 51.0 GB
    -Create swap partition 1.0 GB on /dev/hda2
    -Create root partition 62.4 GB (/dev/hda3 with reiser)

Booting
    -Boot loader type: GRUB
    -Sections: SUSE LINUX 9.3 (default), Windows, Floppy, Failsafe--SUSE LINUX 9.3

Would these settings work, and not write over windows, or keep me from getting into windows? I'm very confused

Linux User
    Looks like it'll work. In "Partitioning" it shows that YaST will resize your Windows partition down to 51GB, then create a swap partition of 1GB and use the remaining free space on the hard drive to install Linux.

"Booting" looks fine also. On that same menu, you can either choose to keep the default for the software selection, or you can go ahead and choose the software you want to install manually. If anything, make sure you choose to install the kernel source and gcc (Can't remember if gcc is already chosen for you or not).

Hope this helps.

It looks good to me, try clicking on the Partitioning link and see if that doesn't get you to the screenshot.

Just Joined!
    Ah thanks very much

Read this section of the admin guide, about half way down it shows how to resize the Windows partition.

http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/d...n/ch01s05.html

Just Joined!
    Just a heads up, if you need to fix your mbr to boot to windows again just put in a windows cd and boot into recovery mode then do "fixmbr". No need to reformat.

Just Joined!

sharing MySQL databases across os's

I'm relatively new to linux.

I'm setting up a dual boot Suse 9.3 / Window XP machine. My Windows XP already has Apache/PHP/MySQL running on it, but I want to run these on Linux to take advantage of all the extra features and to simulate a real server environment more accurately.

Is there any way to share the same MySQL databases between both operating systems? I assume sharing the same directory structure won't be difficult. This would allow me to develop the same site using both operating systems which would be awesome.

Thanks,

Michael

I am not familiar with Php amd mysql, but I know that linux and Windows can not share apps.
    But you could get those programs in Linux and then do whatever you want with that site.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!

win xp pro and suse 9.3 on seperate disk?

Hi I am a total newbie to Lunix but the other day I downloaded suse 9.3 and installed it on a box at work to have a look. Now I want to do it at home. Suse/Grub worked fine on the work box but I want to install suse on a disk I have in my home box that is currently totally unused. Both disks are 120GB Seagate SATA. Will Suse give me a chance to tell it which disk to use?

Thanks for any advice.

Re: win xp pro and suse 9.3 on seperate disk?

Quote Originally Posted by ross moutell
    Suse/Grub worked fine on the work box but I want to install suse on a disk I have in my home box that is currently totally unused. Both disks are 120GB Seagate SATA. Will Suse give me a chance to tell it which disk to use?

Thanks for any advice.
    Yes. After the initial hardware probing SuSE should bring you to a screen that offers a summary of what it wants to do. You can edit that and tell it which drive to which you want to install. Or you could just unplug the used drive and let it install to the empty one.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast