Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to install Red Hat Linux 9. The OS has installed but at no point during the installation proccess was I given the oportunity to set a User ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Username on installation

I am trying to install Red Hat Linux 9. The OS has installed but at no point during the installation proccess was I given the oportunity to set a User name. Yet when I try to boot into Linux it demands a Username and will nt let me proceed without one. Can anybody tell me what I am supposed to do?

Regards

Tazzers

Linux Guru
    I've heard that a lot lately, that RH9 wouldn't offer you to set up a user. It would seem that RH would have let a bug sneak into the installation script. For now, log in with username 'root', and the root password that you chose during the installation. Then, once in, create a user account for yourself. If you're logging in graphically, there should be some GUI stuff to do that; if you log into a text mode terminal, run this:
    Code:
    useradd -g users <username>
    passwd <username>
    Replace <username> with the actual username that you want. The passwd command will let you set the password.

Linux Enthusiast
    actually with red hat 9, if memory serves correctly (and other various distros) it runs something called "firstboot" that allows you to add a user there and set up many things with your system.

Just Joined!
    Okay I did it by using the boot disk. It mucks about at first but after a while it seems to keep the username you have chosen. Thanks chaps.

Just Joined!
    i am running red hat 9 and i have reformated several times and eveytime it asks me for a name this is ofcourse after the install is complete and like dolda said the "firstboot" is activated (durring install it does ask for a root PW but i thnik all distros do that)