Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have a dual boot of Mandrake 9.0 and XP and am trying to detect/configure my ethernet adapter. 1) From the intel pages, I gathered that what I want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

detection of network adapter

Hi,
    I have a dual boot of Mandrake 9.0 and XP and am trying to detect/configure my ethernet adapter.

1) From the intel pages, I gathered that what I want is here:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...*&submit=Go%21

However, there are a no. of downloads on this page. My kernel is 2.4. In addition to the driver, do I also need the SNMP package (item no. 1 on download page), base driver (item no.2), item no.5 and item no. 6 ?

2) If something is listed in my /proc/pci, does it mean that it has been detected ? (I was reading somewhere that to be detected, the device drivers should know the address of the device and the device should be assigned that address physically)

3) I noticed that my /proc/pci file has a listing for the above controller. However, there is no IRQ listed there. Why is that ? From Windows, I was able to find the IRQ, in any case.

4) Lastly, if I look at the modules file, it has a line "alias eth0 off". What should this line look like after I have downloaded the drivers ?

The machine I have is a Dell 4600.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Sanjiv

Linux Guru
    1. That link didn't work. I don't know if Intel's site is down or anything, but it would help if you would post the name of your network adapter.

2. If something is listed in /proc/pci, it means that the kernel has found it on the PCI bus, but it doesn't mean that it has associated a driver with the device.

3. Why do you want to know the IRQ?

4. You should replace "off" with the name of the driver module.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    1. That link didn't work. I don't know if Intel's site is down or anything, but it would help if you would post the name of your network adapter.

2. If something is listed in /proc/pci, it means that the kernel has found it on the PCI bus, but it doesn't mean that it has associated a driver with the device.

3. Why do you want to know the IRQ?

4. You should replace "off" with the name of the driver module.
    Hi,
    Thanks a lot for answering my queries. I checked that link again and it seemed to work this time. Anyway, the adapter is INTEL PRO 100 VE (for some reason my DELL invoice says it is INTEL PRO 100M), as determined from windows control panel.
    Regarding /proc/pci, what exactly is "detection". You have pointed out that entries in the pci file mean that the kernel has found it on the PCI bus, but not necessarily associated a driver with it. Would the former part correspond to detection or is a device said to be detected only when it is located and a driver is associated with it ?
    Concerning the IRQ, I was just worried if that means no IRQ has been "kept aside" for this device. Anyway, I rebooted and checked. This time it showed the IRQ.
    Once again, thanks for your replies. I would appreciate it if you check out that link again and help me out with the downloading of drivers.

Regards,

Sanjiv

Linux Engineer
    You probably already have the driver loaded on your machine. Look in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net for the intel pro driver. I forget the exact name but i think its something like e100 or eepro100. When you get the exact name just do modprobe <module name> but dont use the .o at the end, ie modprobe e100

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by genlee
    You probably already have the driver loaded on your machine. Look in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net for the intel pro driver. I forget the exact name but i think its something like e100 or eepro100. When you get the exact name just do modprobe <module name> but dont use the .o at the end, ie modprobe e100
    Hi,
    You are right. The driver is loaded, no doubt (e100). But this is what I get when I 'modprobe e100' :

/lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdk/kernel/drivers/net/e100/e100.o.gz: init_module: No such device
    Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
    You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
    modprobe:insmod /lib/modules/2.4.1916mdk/kernel/drivers/net/e100/e100.o.gz failed
    modprobe: insmod e100 failed

I don't know if this helps but this is the relevant portion of 'lspci -v'

02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 1050 (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Dell Computer Corporation: Unknown device 0155
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 20
    Memory at fcfef000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    I/O ports at df40 [size=64]
    Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2

Sanjiv