Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi I have a new, formatted, but empty fat-32 16gb HDD installed as my slave drive. I am trying to separate it into two drives so that i can install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Partitioning - the pain in my life

Hi

I have a new, formatted, but empty fat-32 16gb HDD installed as my slave
    drive. I am trying to separate it into two drives so that i can install
    redhat on one drive and keep a mutual data drive available for both windows (on the master drive) and linux.

When I FDISK and select create extended partition on fixed drive 2 it tells
    me there is 'no space to create a DOS partition'.

Am i missing something? Everytime i try and read the info out on the web
    about FDISK i get so confused i give up. If anyone could simply explain how to partition this slave drive into two drives i would be very grateful.

Regards.
    Gavin

Linux Engineer
    Can you post the output of # fdisk -l?
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

First of all, if you have FC3 (as your profile indicates), why are you installing Red Hat?

Secondly, you don't need to fdisk. Doesn't FC3 have something like Disk Druid that can partition for you?

Just Joined!

# fdisk -L

hi

i can't seem to type # into the dos command screen. fdisk -L only returns the line bad command or file name.

Cheers
    G

Just Joined!

fdisk v disk druid

I've actually got the dvd for i386 FC4 but i thought redhat were the principal sponsors behind FC4?

Secondly, i know little about fdisk so was thinking that using something else would confuse me even more. But arguably from Fdisk - that would be almost imposible.

How would i find this utility? Would i have to run boot? There doesn't seem to be a standalone app on the DVD

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    First of all, if you have FC3 (as your profile indicates), why are you installing Red Hat?

Secondly, you don't need to fdisk. Doesn't FC3 have something like Disk Druid that can partition for you?

Linux Enthusiast

Re: fdisk v disk druid

Quote Originally Posted by grinder
    I've actually got the dvd for i386 FC4 but i thought redhat were the principal sponsors behind FC4?

Secondly, i know little about fdisk so was thinking that using something else would confuse me even more. But arguably from Fdisk - that would be almost imposible.

How would i find this utility? Would i have to run boot? There doesn't seem to be a standalone app on the DVD

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu

i believe disk druid comes up before you install it. it'll ask you how you want to partition your drive, then you can choose your packages, and then it installs (that's the install in a nutshell). disk druid (when it'll ask how to partitoin) might work for you

You'd probably find QTParted useful. You can boot up a LiveCD like Mepis or Knoppix which have QTParted. It's a graphical partition utility, similar to Partition Magic.

While you're at it, you could install Mepis instead of Redhat or Fedora or any other non-Debian based Linux distribution.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Linux Engineer

Re: # fdisk -L

Quote Originally Posted by grinder
    hi

i can't seem to type # into the dos command screen. fdisk -L only returns the line bad command or file name.

Cheers
    G
    The # means you have to execute the command as root .
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!

bloody stupid question

this is going to seem bloody stupid, but how the hell do i run the install on the linux DVD.

I've booted the system with a win 98 boot disk (because it has all the drivers for running the DVD ROM) - and then typed in gone into that drive, typed out e:\.....la..la..la....boot and nothing has happened?

Thanks
    G

Just Joined!

Re: # fdisk -L

It doesn't seem to work: if my understanding of root is correct. e.g. as fdisk is in c:\windows\command i must run the command whilst in this directory.

I have also run it from c:\ and no joy there either?

[/quote]

The # means you have to execute the command as root .[/quote]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast