Find the answer to your Linux question:
Windows just crashed , and I wouldn't bother reinstalling, except that I have an iPod and love iTunes. I have a few questions about reinstalling before I start. 1.) Will ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Windows just crashed...have a few questions about reinstalling

Windows just crashed , and I wouldn't bother reinstalling, except that I have an iPod and love iTunes. I have a few questions about reinstalling before I start.

1.) Will it screw up my linux partitions and files?

2.) I can't delete the partition in partition magic or qtparted. I get the error "Too many errors" (?!?!?) in partition magic, and it simply won't work in qtparted. Anyone know what caused this?

3.) Will my iPod be screwed up if I try to backup my files from Windows using SuSE 9.3? Currently it has some important stuff that I can't risk losing.

Thanks,
    Fanfan
    There is no problem so complicated that you cannot find a very simple answer to it if you look at it in the right way

oz
    forum.guy
    Windows shouldn't do anything to your Linux partitions unless you direct it to do so.

Have you tried using a Knoppix CD to rework your partitions? It can also be used to do file backups for Windows files, or Linux files.

Re: Windows just crashed...have a few questions about reinstalling

Quote Originally Posted by fanfan1313
    Windows just crashed :evil: , and I wouldn't bother reinstalling, except that I have an iPod and love iTunes. I have a few questions about reinstalling before I start.

1.) Will it screw up my linux partitions and files?
    Not the partition, but the boot loader, yes.

3.) Will my iPod be screwed up if I try to backup my files from Windows using SuSE 9.3? Currently it has some important stuff that I can't risk losing.
    No.

Linux Newbie
    What I really want to do is backup all of my documents to my iPod, both linux and windows (copy and paste). Then delete and reinstall my Windows partition.

Use the Knoppix cd? I used it to run qtparted, and I ran PartitionMagic from a bootable disk. How else can you use knoppix do do this?

Thanks,
    Fanfan
    There is no problem so complicated that you cannot find a very simple answer to it if you look at it in the right way

Linux Newbie
    Regarding what aysiu wrote that it will screw up my bootloader, can I use the Rescue Disk to fix that?

Thanks,
    Fanfan

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by fanfan1313
    What I really want to do is backup all of my documents to my iPod, both linux and windows (copy and paste). Then delete and reinstall my Windows partition.
    Boot the Knoppix CD, then click the icons on the KDE desktop that represent the source drive and the drive you want to copy the files to. Each drive icon clicked should open a new window/file manager. Just drag and drop the files from one window to the other. If it doesn't work, make sure your destination drive is writeable.

Linux Newbie
    Wow, that's easy, thanks.

Booting into Knoppix...

Linux Guru
    Knoppix has saved my bacon so often, and even moreso Slax. I always have it close to hand on an 8cm disc. It's helped convert a fre windows users I can tell you...