Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, Using Mandrake update is it possible to update KDE while in KDE? I've asked this question to Mandrake and they don't seem to want to answer it. I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake update

Hello,

Using Mandrake update is it possible to update KDE while in KDE? I've asked this question to Mandrake and they don't seem to want to answer it. I have Mandrake 8.0. In using Mandrake update to get patch updates I noticed several updates for security to KDE, including KDEBase. As I'm running update while in KDE is it possible to safely update KDE while in it or will the update cause KDE to fail? It seems to me that when updating an app. the app. should be closed not running, but the update runs under KDE. I also noticed kernel updates as well same question for it, can I do the update while running KDE?

Thank you

I think it should work out just fine, but I'm not using Mandrake or KDE, so don't trust me 100% on that one.

What I can think of the work thing that might happen is that you have to restart Xfree or something.

Good luck

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the tip. I'll be doing it tonight, I'll let you know what happened either way. Even if everything dies I'll at least learn not to do that again.

If you update KDE while you're in KDE you have to restart KDE for the changes to take effect. You can, however, install the new version while the old version is running.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    I did the update of KDE last night, rebooted and all was fine . Tonight I try the kernel and its libs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thllgo
    I did the update of KDE last night, rebooted and all was fine . Tonight I try the kernel and its libs.

Thanks
    You don't have to fully reboot to start the new version of KDE...just restart X with CTRL+ALT+Backspace.

Just Joined!
    I didn't know you could do it that way, but there is an option when loging out in KDE, or Mandrake to restart X, but I did a reboot to make completely sure it would start on boot up. I once did an update and all seemed fine util about a month later when I rebooted and boot up complained about the packages I had updated a month eairler. As a result I now reboot after updates just to make sure there is no problem or if there is I can deal with it then. Just habit since it's not a production server but simply my home PC.

You don't really have to reboot in GNU/Linux unless you got a kernel panic, or updating a kernel.

And that's whats wonderful about it. I haven't rebooted since I switched to the 2.6.0-test4-bk3 kernel.

Code:
    sarumont@illusion Half-Life $ uptime
     22:27:33 up 21 days, 23:56,  3 users,  load average: 1.14, 1.22, 1.15
    sarumont@illusion Half-Life $

Linux Engineer
    oh, the things you learn by reading these posts.. in all the time i've played around with linux, i never knew about the 'uptime' command... ::shrugs:: guess you learn somethin' new every day..
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr